• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 12:02:50 PM

News:

Visit our IRC channel, #TrinityMUGEN on irc.sorcery.net!

We're doomed

Started by The_None, May 25, 2008, 10:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert the small

That's pretty much all you can do, so why try anything else?

Jango

There's also the option explored in The Handmaid's Tale in which all you need to do is to go into the Congress building and kill everyone with a machine gun.

The_None

Not really ACTA/G8 related, but the doom seems sadly inevitable....

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/07/court-ruling-will-expose-viewing-habits-youtube-us
Both Viacom and Louis Stanton seriously need to fucking eat shit and die.

Jesuszilla

What the fuck? Isn't this invasion of privacy?

Just try to keep things peaceful.

MelvanaInChains

Quote from: [Kira] on July 04, 2008, 11:07:42 AM
What the fuck? Isn't this invasion of privacy?

Yes, and a contradiction as well. When one clicks on the 'viewing history' section, it clearly states that YouTube 'respects your privacy and will not share this information with anyone'.

Viacom just needs to stop being massive pricks.

The_None

Posting from my Aunt's PC to bring you more baaad news.....

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/2008/07/02/write-to-your-mep-say-no-to-3-strikes-through-the-backdoor/
http://stealth.strangecompany.org/

Some pricks were trying to pass a "three-strikes-we-will-cut-your-net-connection" bill (recently approved by that asshole president of France) by a backdoor to destroy the Internet.

Sicholas Narkozy should fucking die now....

Jesuszilla

I believe we have VERY few UK users here.

Fusion

Viacom wants to buy out YouTube and see more than half of it's userbase arrested and removed from the site, dumbasses want the Internet to be "YOU MUST RESPECT THE INTERNATIONAL LAWS THAT WE MADE UP BECAUSE AMERICA CONTROLS THE WORLD"

Tyrannosaurus Reich

i'm scared guys

hold me  :'(

Fusion

Seriously.  Does international law mean nothing any more?

The_None

Seems so....

http://torrentfreak.com/g8-pushes-anti-piracy-trade-agreement-080710/ :'(
I knew it, THIS SHIT WILL LIKELY TO BE PASSED AT THE END OF 2008 (unless some kind of miracle happens), and whoever thought this won't pass (Hi, Robert) got surely fooled the fuck out by Optimism (and I knew it that Optimism was useless a loooong time ago).

Also, I've just heard that - along with the "Thee Strikes Law" - that there could be a bill in EU that - if passed - would give the power to dictatorships to decide which tools can be used/uploaded and such, meaning that even Firefox could be deemed "illegal" by the MAFIAA sockpuppets! This is just....

Sadly, it's very unlikely that any kind of Charles Angus would change that.... Neither would my Aunt's PC I'm still posting from....

MC2

Fusion

July 11, 2008, 10:48:02 AM #27 Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 10:57:52 AM by [Matsuda]
Yeah, 2009's gonna be the year of hell for the internet, because let's face it: Fuck Net Neutrality, this is more bullshit than THAT.

I'm betting that the system is going to be so autonomous in implementation that sites like ours could be shut down just because some MUGEN-hating moron decides that we're breaking all kinds of copyright laws.  Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they did that to ALL MUGEN sites.

Also, to add some replies to the mix:
Quote from: Robert the small on May 27, 2008, 12:06:03 PM
Like I said, I'm all for intellectual property rights, because lots of companies get screwed over by Piracy.

Yes, piracy affects companies like Electronic Arts who are dumb enough to alienate their consumers by trying to fight piracy but putting some kind of stupid security measure on their games as well as being complete tards about any questions asked ABOUT the security measures.  And someone calls them a "community friendly" company when their security is what's harming it.  Outside of the traditional "I can get it for free" mindset, THAT is why Electronic Arts suffers from piracy.  Because they're calling it upon theirselves.

It's going to effectively be the damnnation of the internet.  Have you ever heard of what Viacom does to fan sites?

Let's say a show like South Park is just getting off the ground, just started, nobody's really heard of it before, so dozens of fan sites pop up all advertising the game.  Well let's zip forward a year or two and the show's extremely popular.  Now Viacom starts firing out the Cease & Desists to the fan sites.

Think of that but on a much larger scale.  Not just Viacom.  Not just South Park.

Jesuszilla

Advertising the game? What? You're confusing me.

Also WHAT THE FUCK

MC2

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2008/07/15/viacom-youtube.html

Viacom has backed off its demands to gain access to the viewing habits and personal data of YouTube users, information it had originally asked for in its copyright infringement lawsuit against the video-sharing website.

The two sides agreed on Monday that any material YouTube was ordered to hand over would be stripped of personal information, including user ID, IP address and visitor ID.

"We are pleased to report that Viacom, MTV and other litigants have backed off their original demand for all users' viewing histories and we will not be providing that information," YouTube wrote on its company blog Monday. The company also posted a copy of the stipulation to the order on its website.

Viacom, which owns several U.S. television networks including MTV, VH1, Nickelodeon and Comedy Central, had originally asked for the information as part of its $1 billion US lawsuit against YouTube, which is owned by internet search giant Google Inc.

Other plaintiffs in the lawsuit include the English soccer Premier League and music publisher Bourne Co. Viacom and the other plaintiffs alleged in the suit, launched in March2007, that almost 160,000 unauthorized clips of its programming are available on YouTube. Those clips have been viewed more than 1.5 billion times, Viacom charged.

It argued Google wasn't doing enough to keep its copyrighted videos from television shows such as The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report off YouTube.

It had originally asked for access to the user histories to prove that copyright-infringing material is more popular than user-generated videos on YouTube.

Two weeks ago a U.S. federal judge ordered YouTube to hand over this information, a decision San Francisco-based privacy advocacy group The Electronic Frontier Foundation said was "a setback to privacy rights."

Viacom issued a statement Monday, saying it never asked for personally identifiable information and only wanted the data as evidence in its case.

"Viacom will use the data exclusively for the purpose of proving our case against YouTube and Google," the company said in a statement.

At issue in the case is whether Google has fulfilled its requirements under the 1998 Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

The DMCA gives websites protection against infringement claims provided copyrighted material is removed upon notification. Viacom has argued Google could do a better job of blocking the infringing material but doesn't do so because infringing material makes up a significant portion of the website's traffic.