• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 10:33:15 AM

News:

If you have problems logging in, contact an administrator.

Metroid II: Return of Samus

Started by Double, May 16, 2008, 10:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Double

Intro: What is it with games on the Gameboy that have II in their title and having bad music?

Gameplay: Metroid II is a lot more linear than Metroid, this is just a fact. The main gameplay of Metroid II, is Samus starts out in area and is limited in where she can go because the PLANET IS FULL OF FUCKING ACID. After killing all the Metroids in a certain area there's an earthquake and the acid goes away (Note: Smash fans, this is where the acid element in the Brinstar stages came from). The acid is the first time in the series where Nintendo put in what I like to call a "FUCK YOU" obstacle (Later examples would include Adam in Fusion and Prime 2... yes the whole game). This makes it "impossible" to proceed to later areas in the game until you kill all the Metroids in the given area you are in. I say "impossible" because I'm sure there's a video on youtube where someone goes pass the acid via hax and you'd post it just to spite me. Despite that, the game still has a good deal of exploration and you can still kill the Metroid's in any order you want. Besides that it's basically the same as Metroid but now you have a smaller screen and you fire down (this is more important than it sounds). Samus also gains a few new abilities but that's to be expected really.
15 out of 20

Music: Listen for yourself! Sorry about the blood coming out of ears. Besides the main theme, oh god it is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad, and not in the go save the president kind of bad.
0 out of 15

Translation: There's no  text.
Not applicable.

Length: Like Metroid you can still beat this in under an hour... it's going to take a bit longer than Metroid on average cause you have to go around killing all the Metroids. This makes it a bit more tedious to replay than the original Metroid where all you had to kill is Kraid and Ridley, here you have to kill nearly 38 Metroids to get to the final boss.
14 out of 15

Rehash Factor: Besides a few enemies here and there nothing really.
15 out of 15

Plot: After the previous game the Galactic Federation decided you should go kill all the Metroids, because you killed them on Zebes they're now only on their home planet... Well at least they would be if it wasn't for that bullshit caused by Metroid Prime being set in between the two games. Anyways, you are sent to go kill all the Metroids on SR388, not a great plot but it works.
7 out of 10

Difficulty: A bit on the hard side for the same reasons as the first Metroid, but now add the fact you have less maneuverability because of the Gameboy screen, and in general more difficult enemies. However, this game has the most retarded thing ever in it. You can't pause during the final boss. No seriously, if you have to take a piss, well apparently the game think it's rude of you to interrupt its final boss. Seriously, this is one of the worst design decisions I've ever seen in a game.
13 out of 15

Total: 64/90 = 71.11 %

Disregarding the bad musi... screw it just go play Metroid I.

Positive: Don't worry, Nintendo has practically forgotten this game ever happened anyways.

Negative: Seriously no pausing in the final battle? What the shit.

REALLY NINTENDO? WAS THAT NECESSARY?