• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 07:03:02 AM

News:

Visit our IRC channel, #TrinityMUGEN on irc.sorcery.net!

MegaMan ZX: Double's Swansong

Started by Double, March 20, 2007, 09:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Double

Double, in case you are unaware is dead. I am Phoenix "WIP3" Magnion. Now I was enjoying my time never being released, when I was summoned to the will reading of Double. In particular this section about me:

Quote... To Phoenix Magnion, I leave you my reviewing duties. I feel it's important that another "cancelled" project take over the job. Joe, Mac, and the "Big Mysterious Dude", are all unqualified (and rumored to be dead). It was really a decision between you, StarMan and Shao Mario, and well let's be honest StarMan has that weird dialect, and no one would know what the fuck he was saying. Shao Mario would just write all his reviews like this:

THIS GAME IS EXCELLENT. YOU ARE NOTHING. IT'S A ME SHAO MARIO SUPERB.

And who wants that?

To the point, you shall take over my section, you don't need to worry about writing reviews of you own for awhile as I have a few I had on the back burner for future release. I would release them, but I'm dead.

Another thing, if you ever DO get released for Mugen... please think of me and use your summoning power to give me a cameo, please... even if it's just one attack.

So, in accordance with Double's wishes, I shall take over this section. He wrote that quite a bit before he died, he had underestimate the reviews left he had only one, MegaMan ZX, so I give you Double's final review.

Gameplay: Like MegaMan? Like Metroid? Remember that Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Commercial? Well... that concept doesn't always work. ZX has the most retarded map style I have ever seen, in addition to having a vague map, in many cases you can't even TELEPORT to the area you want to *cough Area H, Area J*. Honestly... this is just bad anyone who says it's an improvement to MegaMan is fucking dumb.

We also have the issue of the Models, sure they sound good. But most of them are total crap, honestly, you'll find your self using HX and PX at the end of the game as their both better in their respective qualities than the other models, and have increased movement. As a result the whole Model thing largely comes off as a rap name and a rather bad one.

Also with the models is the Level 4 finish, in order to get the most energy for your model you need to avoid hitting the bosses weak point or you'll have to give some random dude e-crystals. This comes out being tedious on both parts, beating bosses with a Level 4 finish means you have to wait for them to go into certain animations which is just fucking absurd, and the e-crystal one requires you to farm e-crystals which is also absurd. Real game detriment here if you ask me.

Besides that this game is a glorified MegaMan Zero 5 to be honest and doesn't have anything else new about it worth discussing.
12 out of 20

Music: Mostly sub-par at best. The fact that despite being for a higher quality system and having worse quality music than most of the Zero series is quite odd. It should however be noted the tracks themselves aren't exactly bad as shown by the re-mastered versions of ZX Tunes, it's more of an issue of sound quality, and it could be better than MIDI quite frankly.
8 out of 15

Translation: Besides the obvious Model V = Model W, the text and names were pretty much kept the same. Voice acting however was removed, honestly why Inti Creates couldn't kick Blue Ocean to do it again is beyond me. The game also credits the missing voices in the credits... Cut scenes still have voice acting, and are untranslated and thus unrateable.
8 out of 10

Length: No Fortress stages to speak of, unless you count Area M and O. Which reminds me, the fact you fight Pandora twice in the span of two stages in a row is rather bad, even if she did abandon most of her old techniques and fight with Prometheus. The game has 3 intro areas, however so it' s about on the same footing as most of the other games. The game also has a bunch of silly "fetch quest" styled side quests, didn't know I was playing Zelda there.
15 out of 15

Rehash Factor: Besides silly cameos to previous series (more on that later). Nine rehashed bosses show up, and while eight of them are for an easter egg purpose with no reward, we still have to discuss them. However, unlike most games they aren't harder this time around but in most cases easier.

The 4 Weil Number Dudes: Are all easier than there original counterparts, it's even possible to kill Blazin' Flizard in five seconds. Hellbat forgot most of his attacks.

The 4 Einherjar Dudes and Dudettes
The three elemental guys are easier as you now have access to more relable elemental attacks again. Sol Titanian is much more easier without here heat wave zones. Lunaedge is much easier with Model HX to dodge his formally uber-hax triple dash move or you could just use PX's overdrive. The only one here that can arguably seen as harder is Nobel Mandrago for the lack of the Z-Knuckle to rip her out of the ground/ceiling.

Omega: The one boss who is not an easter egg and has a purpose, Omega is a beefed up version of his final form from Zero 3. He in addition to actually USING his attacks, now gets healed during one of them. The only boss who really was even worth the effort of the programmers to add.

Regarding cameos/rehashes:
E-Tanks and W-Tanks are items in the game... what no S-Tank?
Two cars from Battle and Chase appear in the game, MegaMan's and ProtoMan's and referered to by the proper names even. The two brothers where green and red respectively, lol Mario.
Hyleg Ourobockle from MegaMan Zero 2 can be seen in a tree in the intro boss battle, which is against a giant purple snake.
Prarie's room is outfitted with various Cyber Elf dolls, and pictures of various MMZ characters including Aloutte.
There is a crane game in which the plushies are Leviathan, a Pantheon, Passy (WTF), various Cyber Elves, Mayl, Rabbit Virus and Swordy.
Area D is a glorified remake of the intro stage from MegaMan X1.
10 out of 15

Plot: So Serpent wants to take over ZE WORLD with a random Model he powers by killing a bunch of dudes, and you're a emo protagonist who keeps whining about how much you suck. Gee, I could have sworn this was MegaMan, not a bad Final Fantasy game.
6 out of 10

Difficulty: There is a difficulty setting, Hard is still a bit too easy, but it's ok.
10 out of 10

Total: 69/100 = 69 %

Average, get it if it's in a bargain bin, pass otherwise.

Positive: Model HX is pretty awesome... but it's still outclassed by the others.

Negative: And Model LX is fucking useless.

Now, for those wondering, I may take on Double's job, if I do I'll do the same format he used... and his reviews also all still stand, and I won't go back an change them. Now, unlike Double, I don't have a real hate of Neon, so sorry if you really enjoyed that.

I suppose I could rag on TMF, does that work for you guys? Good?

Jesuszilla

Just try to keep things peaceful.

UHMEEEEBA

He knows about your super secret Harpuia stash.

UHMEEEEBA

Ya know, I've been waiting for that post for almost a year, and I STILL don't got anything.

I mean it's like my brain is overloaded from all the various replies I could make, theres just too many ways to go with this one, and I can't pick any of them. Sorry.

Jesuszilla

"Gay for a trap" seems to be the best reply here.

Just try to keep things peaceful.

UHMEEEEBA

March 22, 2007, 11:55:39 PM #5 Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 12:08:14 AM by The Justice
Man I hope that doesn't imply Cubit Foxtar, Serenade and the rest.

Edit: You know, I just remember this topic was suppose to be in honor of Double, man even in death he get's screwed over eh?