• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 07:56:24 AM

News:

Anyone found direct-linking to our files will be perma-banned. Click here for more info.

Fox's Review: Sonic The Hedgehog (GBA re-release)

Started by Fusion, January 06, 2007, 08:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fusion

Alas, the classic blue hedgehog is back, almost 16 years later, and where?  On the Game Boy Advance... Worst idea ever.  Last I heard, GBA had about the power of an SNES... Well, this is what basically happens when you try to put Sonic the Hedgehog on SNES.

As you can see, the two major changes are, one, the title screen and two, the addition of the spindash in Anniversary Mode.  There are few and far between differences otherwise.  The Music?  Not really remixed in any form, just re-done to "fit the GBA limits" and it sounds TERRIBLE compared to the original Genesis' version songs. 

Gameplay?  Well, if you can vaguely remember the original game, you could say this game played exactly like the original.  Bull-freaking-crap.  There is a TON of slowdown in this game, a lot of time it's when there are a lot of rings on screen at once, like more than 20 rings.  Control?  Eh, if it weren't for the slowness I'd say it handled just like the actual game... Though I've seen fans hack a better Spindash just ripping code from Sonic 2.

Where's all the super-cool extras?  Wasn't the actual original music-Oh wait, the GBA doesn't have FM synth processing.  So, where's the remixed tunes?  I don't see any remixed tunes.  Remastered tunes, yes, but no super cool Sonic Advance style remixes, which is what I sorta hoped for.

Then again, I was hoping this game would be more of a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog in the Sonic Advance style than it would just be a port.

Feel weary, Sonic fans... Sonic's true end is coming.  It isn't at the hands of Mephiles, either! OMG SPOILER!