• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 11:55:04 PM

News:

Visit our IRC channel, #TrinityMUGEN on irc.sorcery.net!

Fox's Review: Riiiidge Raaacer

Started by Fusion, July 13, 2006, 04:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fusion

July 13, 2006, 04:24:41 PM Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 07:19:43 AM by Fox McCloud
You're looking at a thread with a game name and "Fox's Review" upon it's title so it must mean that it's time for another review of a either good or bad game.

Ah, yes, the game that started it all... Ridge Racer.  The one that Kaz Hirai remembers as a kid... Well, let's get serious instead of posting a image of a PSP and saying "Riiidge Raaacer" shall we?

Graphics (8/10):

The graphics, though dated (they were perfectly fine at the time, as shadows were not required) are fine for just a racing game.  The 30 Frames per second rate may turn you off, but remember that this is a PSX game you're dealing with.  Most games never had a common 60 frames per second (Ridge Racer would soon be featured upgraded in Ridge Racer Type 4, with graphical enhancements and would run at a full 60 frames per second with no slowdown.)  Despite the possibly awkward designs, the cars almost all look the same, some vehicles are just others with different paint jobs and stats.  However, at least the 13th Racing Car and White Angel stand out.

Sound (6/10):

Even though this is a racing game, the music doesn't sound too race-ish.  There's a mix of techno and your average game music.  By today's standards, it wouldn't even compare.  All of the cars share one engine sound, and it's somewhat low-pitched.  But there wasn't much that could be done.  The reason this got a lower score than the rest is because of the announcer, who I SWEAR is homosexual, or at least has a rather feminine accent.  Here's a couple of his lines:

"Great job!  I got everything on camera, so you'll watch it later, huh?  You're the greatest!"
"Woo, that was a great counter!  You must be one genius of a driver!  You've gotta teach me!"

As I said... Cheesy man that person is.  At least his other lines work better, one of them I'm ashamed Namco replaced.

Control (7/10):

Control's a little iffy, seeing as it's kinda hard to tell where your car will go.  They move in the same pattern, drift the same way, and such, but you need to be careful when you drift because sometimes you can drift and slide to a stop on a dime.  Drifting is really not recommended as you lose a lot of speed usually, so the better alternative would be to use your car's handling to the max.  Some cars can go right through a turn at top speed.  Others will just fly into the wall.

The Galaga mini-game you can play is fun, though.  You've gotta shoot the wave before the 'presented by NAMCO' logo comes up, and if you do, you automatically unlock all the cars aside from 13th Racing Car and White Angel.

So what does all this mean?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Raaaaaaaaaaaaacer!