• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Fox's Review: Super Monaco GP (Arcade Version)

Started by Fusion, May 04, 2006, 07:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fusion

Once again, I return with another review.  This time it's a classic game: Super Monaco GP.  You all remember the home port which wasn't anything like the Arcade version (as it was with the arcade ports at the time?)

Graphics:

I have to say, Super Monaco GP sports the most unique graphics for it's time.  Everything appears to be rendered in 3D, although it's far from being rendered in 3D.  The graphics ARE top notch.  Every car has a unique color scheme, ranging from solid red to solid black (which was, oddly, missing from the home port) and just about all of the color tones on the cars are featured in the home port.

The graphics are layered and rendered on-screen so well that you'd think you were playing in a 3D environment.  Which you technically are, but there's no polygons involved.  Everything is some form of sprite.

Sound:

The sound is well composed, given that there's only about 5 tracks of music in the entire game.  There are plenty of sound effects, though.  Everything is clear, even though in my ROM the favorite line the spotter would say is "It's the final lap! Go get 'em!" even though it wasn't the final lap.

Gameplay:

It takes a bit to get used to the Arcade version's controls., but once you do you can take a turn at 360 km/s flawlessly.  That's all there really is to it, unless of course you're using the manual transmissions.  The SUPER-A class provides the most speed and power you'll need to win races, but it's really for experienced drivers.

EDIT: Such an idiot for posting the same screenshot twice...