• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 12, 2024, 05:31:54 PM

News:

Visit our IRC channel, #TrinityMUGEN on irc.sorcery.net!

We're doomed

Started by The_None, May 25, 2008, 10:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UHMEEEEBA

Quote from: Fox McCloud on March 21, 2011, 11:11:50 AM
Part of me can't wait for Armageddon.

Man internet piracy counter measures are sure bad.

Let's kill all of humanity.

Really Fusion, really?

Fusion

Quote from: UHMEEEEBA on March 21, 2011, 08:35:11 PM
Quote from: Fox McCloud on March 21, 2011, 11:11:50 AM
Part of me can't wait for Armageddon.

Man internet piracy counter measures are sure bad.

Let's kill all of humanity.

Really Fusion, really?

Perhaps you don't see it like I do.  I see en-mass wiretapping based on suspicion alone.  I see wire-tapping because of a DMCA claim on someone's YouTube page.   I see how this will benefit the corporations that have their lawyer's hounds sniff the internet for things to take down in the name of "protection".

I also see how many times they've tried to pull this off, and how likely they are to succeed.  All they ever need to do is to just throw more money at the senators, house members, democrats and republicans alike.  That and so many other things that aren't related to this article bring me to that.

But you know damn well I'll probably never act on those words.

Brandy Bogard

Looks like they don't want anyone to know about the genocide of freedom. I place the blame squarely on Jeremy Bernal

ALSO, THIS.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Fusion

March 24, 2011, 10:46:30 AM #289 Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 04:02:51 PM by Fox McCloud
75 Trillion?

You know what that is?  That is akin to eternal damnation, which is clearly what these companies desire for people who do not bow to their whims.  This is not a fine you can pay in your lifetime.  This is a fine that would have to be paid over several generations.  That person's children, their children's children, and why they had to would be lost on them.  It's insane.

75,000,000,000,000.  Yes, much, much higher than the National Debt.  About 5x higher, as a matter of fact.  So are these record companies pledging to rid us Americans of the National Debt?  Or is it what I'm thinking, that they just want to ruin some poor schmuck's life all because of a few digitally shared songs?

The problem is that these particular companies think that stopping one individual will do good.  That suing one for, say, exactly 1 googolplex in US Dollars will have any overall effect because certainly, they will not be able to pay that much on it.  They call for money that the person simply does not have.  While the hundreds of others doing the same thing get away unnoticed and unphased.

Therefore, the only two solutions are either a complete reformation of the marketplace, or to destroy the very core of the supposed "problem" by limiting it so much that it is no longer appealing.  Yes, I am suggesting that a good portion of the Anti-Piracy legislation we're seeing is deliberately restrictive.  It's made to ruin the Internet's reputation by design.

EDIT: I'd typed out 75 BILLION instead of 75 TRILLION.  My mistake.

Brandy Bogard

Not only that, it also violates human rights.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Jesuszilla

March 24, 2011, 03:24:50 PM #291 Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 03:35:32 PM by Jesuszilla
Quote from: Fox McCloud on March 24, 2011, 10:46:30 AM
This is a fine that would have to be paid over several generations.  That person's children, their children's children, and why they had to would be lost on them.  It's insane.
Debt is not inherited (at least not here), as much as they would like that. If your parents die and some creditors ask you for money because of their debt, you don't pay anybody shit.

If it's like a mortgage, though, then the creditors get first dibs on the asset in debt and if you don't get the shit out of there, they can lock the door on you and take everything inside because technically they still own it. That does not mean that you're in debt though unless you agree to pay it off so you can own the property, in which case, if you don't intend to use that property, you just got screwed, buddy.

tl;dr: The children wouldn't owe anybody shit unless they, as an adult, had something to do with it.

Just try to keep things peaceful.

Brandy Bogard

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Jesuszilla

Jesuszilla

We're not engaging in any piracy.

Brandy Bogard

This has turned into genocide.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Fusion

The "Preventing Real Online Threats to Economic Creativity and Theft of Intellectual Property" Act.  

Sounds like it's dumb by design.

Jesuszilla

Won't make it through, then.