• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 05:04:31 AM

News:

Anyone found direct-linking to our files will be perma-banned. Click here for more info.

MegaMan X5

Started by Double, March 21, 2006, 04:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Double

March 21, 2006, 04:35:16 PM Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 01:23:36 PM by Phoenix Magnion
Very amusing Senor Zorro, very amusing.

Ah yes MegaMan X5, this was intended to be the last MegaMan X game, having it segway right into the Zero series. However, Capcom made X6 after this without telling Inafune their plans to do so. Well enough of the trivia it's time to rate this game.

Gameplay: There have been a few new things added to this game, the ability to duck is one of the things that sadly stick out. Other new features include a change in how the armor system works, you now must collect all 4 parts of the armor to use it. The two new armors are also a tad on the silly side being more about increasing maneuverability than anything else. The game is also the first one to feature the option of using both X and Zero and using one for one instances and one for the other. Despite this heart tanks are not shared which means you will either need to ration them or stick to one character. In addition to this quite a few of the heart tanks are not available to Zero requiring X's armors to get. Then there's the whole Eurasia thing going on, you have to try and blow up the colony or lose the ability to use Zero. Having said that I have never seen the Enigma cannon take out of the colony and the Shuttle only occasionally works, this leads to a lot of unnecessary resetting and takes the gameplay down a bit in my opinion.
16 out of 20

Music: As noted below, a good portion of the music are remixed tracks from various other games. The new tracks are fairly decent though, it's not that bad of a soundtrack.
15 out of 15

Translation: There's quite a few nonsensical translations here and there. My favorite is Dynamo's bizarre obsession with disturbing you, instead of disrupting you. Overall there are quite a lot of mistakes in this one, which was only a prelude to X6's. In addition the Maverick Name's suck.
5 out of 10

Length: This one is odd, because you could technically beat the game in 5 stages skipping all the maverick stages by firing the Enigma and Shuttle in rapid succession. However, the game gives you the opportunity to make it long if you want to.
15 out of 15

Rehash Factor: This game has so much rehashedness in it I'd rather make a list.
-The first Fortress boss is Black Devil, whom fights almost the same as his MegaMan 1 counterpart with a few new tricks.
-The music that plays when you fight Black Devil is a remix of the Fortress Boss music from MegaMan 1.
-Squid Addler's Weapon for X, is a slightly modified version of ElecMan's Thunder Beam. In addition Black Devil is weak to it, déjà vu?
-After 4 games of not appearing the disappearing/reappearing blocks make their first X series appearance.
-The First Sigma stage is a blatant rehash of QuickMan's from MegaMan 2.
-Dark Dizzy's weapon is a slightly modified version of FlashMan's Time Stopper from MegaMan 2.
-There's a section in Burn Dinorex's stage that has a sub-boss earlier similar to Mecha Dragon from MegaMan 2.
-Sigma's final form is quite similar to Gamma from MegaMan 3.
-Black Devil can turn into Wily Machine VI.
-Rangada Bangada returns as the second Fortress Boss.
-The music that plays when you with Rangada Bangada Mk II is a remix of the fortress boss music from MegaMan X.
-The second Sigma stage has parts of it that are quite similar to the first Sigma stage from X1.
-The Skiver fights quite similarly to Storm Eagle from X1.
-Dr. Light's theme is a remix of his theme from MegaMan X.
-The title screen music is a combined remix of Zero's second theme from MegaMan x, and the Weapon Recieved theme from MegaMan 3.
-Duff McWhalen's stage music is a remix of Bubble Crab's from MegaMan X2.
-Magma Dragoon returns as the boss of the training stage.
-Izzy Glow's Stage contains a section nearly identical to a section from Split Mushroom's stage in X4.
-Squid Addler's stage has a Ride Chaser sequence quite similar to Jet Stingray's from X4.
-Many of Zero's attacks learned from the bosses are quite similar to ones from X4.
-The Skiver's stage reuses many enemies from X4.
There is probably more, but I can't remember any more on the top of my head. Despite all this absurd rehashing there are a few new things that are in this game. But still that doesn't make up for all of that...
8 out of 15

Plot: Well this game has a fairly decent plot I suppose it explains some things about Zero that people were wondering sense X2 (largely due to the huge ass Wily Logo that shows up when you fight Maverick Zero in the third Sigma Stage). However, it did create many questions that were never answered officially, specifically is Sigma's new associate Dr. Wily. This probably would have been explained in the Zero series but X6 kind of screwed that up. Despite that, at the time this game was made it's plot was decent, regardless of the effects of the later games.
10 out of 10

Difficulty: Not too bad, in addition there is a difficulty setting.
15 out of 15

Total: 74/100 = 74 %

Ouch, well not really, what can you expect for a game that is largely recycled content.

Positive: The stage design doesn't totally suck, unlicke its succesor.

Negative: It's rehashtastic.