• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 02:46:20 AM

News:

If you have problems logging in, contact an administrator.

Pokémon

Started by Deleted User, April 09, 2010, 02:38:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UHMEEEEBA

Couldn't you trade over one from the last generation of games though that knows the move you want?

Jango

No because then I'd have to breed it again anyway to keep tournament authenticity + correct nature/behavior, so it wouldn't carry the move over. Not to mention losing it forever in the other game.

This is of course ignoring that I need 2 DS'es for it, which I don't.

Jango

Welp gave up on Skarmory and put a new Pokemon on my team that is so unbelievably BROKEN I'm surprised he's official tournament-legal. Also he's a Team Rocket Pokemon, and while I considered making my whole team be Pokemon that the anime Team Rocket owns, that's hardly practical at all.

Jango

Welp, tournament time again. Lost first round so no badge (would've been Dark, so no biggie, but still) :( now for the mandatory highlights with my opponent and thr losers I hung out with.

TEAM: This time we were allowed to pick ONE legendary per team.

Skarmory ("Robin")
Gyarados ("Bedevere")
Snorlax ("Galahad")
Machamp ("Lancelot")
Jolteon ("Patsy")
Reshiram ("Arthur")

- Lot of Stealth Rock users this time around, as well as Sunny Day users.
- I hate Starmie so much with its entry hazard removal and its FUCKING THUNDERBOLT THAT PARALYZED MY RESHIRAM OH MY GOD I HATE YOU
- Snorlax saved the day again, but only reservedly so this time.
- Skarmory is really a one-use Pokemon (set up spikes), and is rendered useless by the aforementioned Starmie.
- Reshiram also sucks if you bring him in too late. Because by then all the traps are set like a bag of penises and you'll receive them like a bag of vaginas.
- Gallade is a terrible Pokemon, I don't know why people use him.
- Someone's Leafeon outsped my Jolteon! AKDHFORJDOAHGFJW

So yeah, sucked

Jango

Nintendo is having their first official Wi-Fi tournament this month

The downsides are that only the first 10,000 who register will get in, and you can only use the Unova Pokemon (which means I can keep Scrafty from my current team and that's it). Double Battling seems to be the rap name Nintendo has been pushing for a while and it's a damn shame since a lot of staple sweeper moves (ie: Earthquake, Surf, etc etc) hit your teammate as well, so you have to neuter your team to keep them alive longer.

And since Pokemon under 50 dont get leveled up... Actually that's alright, the only Pokemon to abuse FEAR are not BW Exclusives.

Jesuszilla

Could probably avoid earthquake by teaming the user up with a flying type.

Just try to keep things peaceful.

UHMEEEEBA

Don't some also now just ignore ground attacks for arbitrary reasons? I recall not being able to Earthquake a Koffing in one of the games.

Sgt Squirrel

Doesn't Koffing have Levitate as one of it's abilites? (Levitate is immunity to ground attacks obv)

Jango

Yeah shitloads of Pokemon have Levitate. As to which Gen V pokemon have it that are worth using... Eelektross (pure electric type, rendering it with no weakness) and Hydreigon (Dragon/Dark) off the top of my head, forget if Chandelure had it too. The big problem with making compromises to the Pokemon to make room for Earthquake is:

1) Flying types in Gen V that arent legendaries are absolute SHIT except for Thundurus. The main problwm being weakness to Stealth Rock which is really common and will chip off at least 25% HP on switch in on a flying type. This isnt to say they sont have uses (I mean, I have a Scyther on my team which loses half of its health on switch in because of quadruple weakness to rock, but is fast and strong enough to kill suff before that matters) but their uses are extremely limited.
2) Haxorus, who is the current cool kid Dragon has the ability Mold Breaker which nullifies Levitate
3) Probably less orthodox, but swapping out Cofagrigus at just the right moment into a physical attack will remove the ability and replace it with Mummy.
4) Anyone with Simple Beam can wreck your ability. Namely Audino, who will be filling in for the standard Blissey/Snorlax Special Walls.

Don't get me wrong when those work it's great, but there are a lot of considerations when doing so, and 2 on 2 is a whole nother animal.

Jesuszilla

Oookayyy... After seeing that art, I no longer approve of the idea...

Though now I can make a relative reference back to TMF.

Just try to keep things peaceful.

Jango

Next thing you know, they're gonna be like Yugioh and fight Pokemon on top of motorcycles (okay they already do it in SUBWAYS, but still)

Jango

Quote from: Jango on October 07, 2011, 03:57:41 AMthe only Pokemon to abuse FEAR are not BW Exclusives.
DISREGARD THAT I SUCK COCKS

I found ONE Pokemon that CAN and make things a living hell for the enemy. Not saying who it is, but here, have a music video for your hint.

So doing it for the tourney

Jango

Alrighty, just won my first two matches, will be doing more tomorrow and will keep you posted on them. So here's my tournament team:

Whimsicott ("Mr. Jones") IMPORTANT, THIS POKEMON IS LV. 1
Scrafty ("Moonie")
Reuniclus ("Sollux"
Eelektross ("Hitcher")
Druddigon ("Cornjob")
Chandelure ("Rowsdower")

So my two match highlights:

- Unlike local infrared tournaments, you are shown a preview of all the Pokemon your opponwnt has, and you can pick four total per fight. For both fights, I left out Eelektross and Chandelure.

- My first opponent was a Texan and his lineup was Whimsicott (Lv.50), Mienshao, Basculin (what), and Galvantula.

- Whimsicott is probably the most unpredictable Pokemon since you can run so many sets on him. While I was running the Trick Room setup, he ran a support Whimsicott that eventually forced me to switch Scrafty out after too many stat drops.

- Reuniclus can tank shit like crazy, I was amazed at how it just took attack after attack, even STAB super effective hits.

- It also hits ridiculously hard.

- After I won my first round, I called my platonic friend and apologized for insulting her decision to have a Druddigon on her team. Don't get me wrong, outside of this set it's shit, but if you run Trick Room, you can outspeed all other BW Dragon-types and usually KO them. Havent fought any Dragons with him so far tho, but Druddigon's attack is awesome, especially when combined with the ability Sheer Force.

- Second round my opponent was from Greece and he had Mienshao (AGAIN?!), Volcarona, Serperior, and Hydreigon.

- What I find funny is that both of my opponents had Mienshao, but only one of them used it to go after Whimsicott. My second opponent thought Scrafty was the bigger threat. He wasnt, at least not yet.

- Volcarona may be strong but my opponent wasted him first on Whimsicott who shrugged it off and ran Trick Room, and then Scrafty who got x4 super effective on him with Rock Slide and OHKO'ed him, giving him a Moxie boost without Whimsicott's help!

- Trick Room + Drain Punch + Scrafty w/1 Moxie boost = dead Hydreigon and fully healed Scrafty.

- Scrafty is quite simply my favorite Gen V Pokemon if you havent guessed by now.

Jango

DAY ONE IS COMING TO A CLOSE, HERE'S WHERE I STAND

Wins: 30
Losses: 11
Rating: 1710

General notekeeping:

- Apparently I didnt notice this yesterday, but due to demand, the number of entrants increased to 35,000 members.

- Another thing I didnt notice, this isn't an American tournament; it's international except for Japan since they already had their own tournament. Fought against some German, Mexican, and UK folks, with a surprise noobish Brazil rox team. I'm not kidding either, the lone Brazillian I fought SUCKED.

- UPDATE: AHAHAHA THE BRAZILLIAN DUDE COMPLAINED ABOUT ME KICKING HIS ASS ON SMOGON

FIGHT NOTES

- Goddamn if I see another Conkeldurr or Amoongus. It's always the same strategy too; every Conkeldurr burns itself with Flame Orb and uses Mach Punch, while every Amoongus Spores everything in sight. I mean come ON........

- Fought (and lost) against a team consisting of nothing but shinies that took little damage against STAB super effective moves. Yup, nothing suspicious about that.

- I find it funny that more and more, most people will NOT harm the Whimsicott even after it Endeavor's most of the team. Because somehow it's worse to be left with 1 HP than 12 HP (not really that big of a difference).

- Only ran into two Anti-Trick Room teams so far but only one of them worked against mine.

- Someone attempted a weather team. Yeah that'll REALLY work here.

- So far had two instances of Ragequit. One counted as a win in my favor, the other stated it was a draw. Weird. Maybe the rules are different in Singapore, because losing would BRING SHAME TO THE FAMIRY.

- Guess it's probably not so good to play at night. Not many players out and about.