• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 08:29:46 PM

News:

If you have problems logging in, contact an administrator.

And there went any reason to buy a PS3 Slim

Started by Fusion, August 26, 2009, 07:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fusion

Article at ARS

QuoteDo we need to stop yapping about backwards compatibility?

"It's not coming back, so let me put that on the table," Koller says with an air of finality. But it's all people ever talk about!

"It's not as big as a purchase intent driver as you may be hearing," he claimed. "We've got such a substantial lineup of titles on the PS3; most people are buying the PS3 for PS3 games. They've buying it for PS3 games and Blu-ray movies."

"That won't be returning," he repeats.

MC2

Boo fucking hoo.  You can't play your PS2 games on the new console.
Who the hell buys a PS3 to buy PS2 games?  Isn't that what you have a PS2 for?

And don't tell me you don't have one.  It's been out long enough and is cheap enough that if you want to play PS2 games you will have a PS2.

If it's broken however...

Fusion

I bought my PS3 on the grounds that I'd still have a system to play the PS2 and PS1 games that I already own on should my PS2 start failing to do so.  That and it was the MGS4 bundle, which was, for it's time, the best bundle you get for a PS3 that was both new and had BC.

UHMEEEEBA

I remember when backwards compatibility was a feature instead of a "requirement".

Fusion

Also possibly relevant:

This PS3 will not come with an HDMI cable, instead it will use Component cables (like the 360)

Fusion

The Slim supposedly won't come with an HDMI cable.  That's what I've heard anyway.

Fusion

If you were hoping it'd come with an HDMI cable, the PS3 Slim won't.  It'll be shipped with component cables standard.

However, more thoughts:

PS1 games already run on PS3s by default.  If Sony goes digital download with PS2 titles as rumors say, then why the hell would Sony continue stopping use of PS2 discs on the non-BC PS3s?  And don't quote that PR bullshit from the article that "people buy the PS3 for PS3 games" because if that were the case, then why the fuck would the PS3 have BC at all if all it was for was PS3 games and Blu-Ray?

Jango

August 27, 2009, 06:19:55 PM #7 Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 06:26:16 PM by Jango
That's right! While we're at it, I'm going to storm Nintendo for not letting me plug my original cartridge of Ice Climbers into my Nintendo Wii.

EDIT: By the way I just compared prices on Blu-Ray players and yeah, considering how expensive they are, having a PS3 that's either the same price or cheaper actually is a huge draw.

EDIT2: HDMI cables aren't a big deal. Average prices for those are around $10, so I don't see what the problem is, unless you're from China, in which case that will get you a good-sized hotel room.