• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 10:59:31 AM

News:

Anyone found direct-linking to our files will be perma-banned. Click here for more info.

Windom XP FAQ

Started by Jango, June 09, 2008, 02:14:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jango

Q: Sound isn't working!
A: Check to make sure the sounds in the config menu are working.

Q: What do I need to make my own pilots?
A: There is a walkthrough included with your download that indicates what you need (or if you have the latest version, there should be two walkthroughs for making pilots for using the old and new templates, respectively). Pilots require .ogg format for their sounds, so make sure you have a program that can export sounds into .ogg format sounds (if you're looking for a free one, check out Audacity). Images must be in .png format (.bmp and .jpg are allowed in the current versions), and cannot exceed 200 KB.

Q: Why aren't the pilots talking?
A: There are several reasons why this happens. First, if you have less than four sounds, the pilots may not talk. Duplicate the sound and change the filename to fill in these "gaps." This is especially important if you're making a pilot based on a fighting game characer, as most of these characters only have one "death" sound. Also, check to make sure the filesize is under 50 KB. Although this isn't a problem most of the time, make sure you have your .ogg export to convert at Near-CD Quality, or possibly FM-quality. Dont' worry about making CD-quality voices, as the difference is pretty negligible when it's just dialogue.

Q: How do you get resources for making pilots?
A: Images can usually be found with a search engine. As far as the pilots go, it really depends on what you're trying to do. If you're converting your pilot from a video game (assuming it's from a rom), check for a sound test for ripping the voices, or see if there are any tools that are designed for ripping. If you can't do that, there are a wealth of sites that upload voice rips of difficult-to-rip-from games (especially sites in the Mugen community). Finally, if all else fails, just record the raw sound with your favorite audio-capturing program.

Jango

Q: I HATE YOUR PILOTS WHERE CAN I FIND BETTER ONES???
A: http://tommypedia.a.wiki-site.com/index.php/Bootfighter_Pilot_Database

In addition, there are other pilots that were made by some individuals out there that aren't as publicized. Keep an eye out for those.

Jango

Q: I'm getting problems with the graphics!
A: You need DirectX 9.0 for it to work. It's pretty easy to find (if you have a legitimate XP installation, Microsoft has a free download available). I'm not sure how Vista and DirectX 10 work, but judging by the readme, it should be fine.

The_None

Yeah, I'm posting in THIS topic, but you need to note that DirectX9 is actually updated bi-monthly. (And I have no clue why Microsoft would bother updating DX9 when they could have just give us DX10. Or... why did they bother making DX10 anyway, when it's highly likely that they gave DX9 most - if not all - the features that supossed to convice us for DX10, as evidenced by how people sticking to the good ol' XP were able to run these "very high" settings of Crysis when those were "supposed" to be locked for the use with Vista-only).

AAAAAAND....... http://www.idg.pl/ftp/pc_4129/DirectX.9.0c.PL.End.User.Runtime.Web.Installer.9.20.1057.html -> link for the DX9 installer/updater, legit installation or not (in fact, Microsoft's draconian EULA makes it waaay too easy to make your license "defunct"). Okay, the site is in polish, but just click the "pobierz" button (which translates into "download") and there you go.

Sgt Squirrel

I have a question about the newest version. The readme says that there are new test keys for practice mode, but I can't get those to work. How would I get them to work?