• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 10:49:43 AM

News:

Anyone found direct-linking to our files will be perma-banned. Click here for more info.

ITT: Sonic Games

Started by Fusion, March 02, 2008, 03:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fusion

March 02, 2008, 03:13:34 PM Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 12:42:54 PM by [Matsuda]
We know them.  Shadow the Hedgehog, and Sonic the Hedgehog 2006.  What's wrong?  They have contrived plot lines that are far beyond what we normally expect.  Humans play a major role (as opposed to a minor role) in both games, and the degradation of the characters involved is astounding.

First, let's use the fact that the entire third season of Sonic X, which aired in the US, was a product of 4Kids.  That's right, 4Kids was the one who requested that plot.  Ever wonder why Cosmo's design was so out of place?  Ever wonder why the plot was ridiculously boring?  That's because of 4Kids.  Ever wonder why Drummond was denied the job for VAing Sonic?  4Kids.

Let's also take into account that the third season we have here has never aired in Japan as of yet.  This is making me think: What exactly of Sonic does 4Kids own?  We know that they supposedly have the rights to the show, but are they micro-managing the series' as a whole?

Let's look at Shadow the Hedgehog, released in 2005.  Fans at that point were clamoring for a game based around him.  Since it had been 2 years since Sonic X started showing up, but the only thing notable about is that it's the first game to use the 4Kids VAs.  Let's zip forward to Sonic 2006, which had a far more contrived plot.

In fact, the plot of Sonic '06 was pieced together and looked like it was just part of a marketing ploy, as much as Shadow's use of guns was.  This made me wonder: Is 4Kids micro-managing the Sonic series?  They did get a non-existent 3rd season.  It's likely that both ShadowTH (game) & Sonic '06 were ideas presented to Sega of Japan by who else?  4Kids.  They manage the anime, and apparently someone at Sega of Japan thinks 4Kids are doing a good job.

Shadow the Hedgehog featured a muchly wanted character, wielding something that the fans also thought would be awesome.  The multiple plotlines felt like a gameplay feature.  The rest of it (story, gameplay, weapons) felt tacked on.  The fact it was rushed programming-wise is because 4Kids got impatient.  Hell, even Shadow's repeated use of 'Damn' was catering to the market.   Why do I say 4Kids was behind it?  Because let's look at the editing done to One Piece: You can easily see where the editing's been done.  Plus the fact the editing ends up completely silly or plotlines are replaced with cliche garbage.

Sonic 06 also has 'marketing ploy' written all over it, with an attempt to make the most realistic-looking Sonic game yet.  Of course, Sonic was back in the title.  By this point, fans were requesting a new hedgehog, and that's how Silver was born.  But they also wanted something dark, gritty, and have Sonic have a human love interest.  Let's not forget that some of the older fanbase was clamoring for another game like Sonic Adventure.  We pretty much got that, but it was far from being as good as Adventure actually had it.

I'm getting the feeling that 4Kids is doing more than just translating the anime.  I'm getting the feeling that they're the ones ruining Sonic's traditional games.

UHMEEEEBA

*INSERT GENERIC LOL YOU STILL PLAY SONIC GAMES REPLY HERE*

Jesuszilla

I really lost faith in it after I played Sonic Heroes. Dear God that game sucked.

I'm also surprised you never mentioned SONIC RIDERZ.

Just try to keep things peaceful.

Tyrannosaurus Reich

SEGA JUST NEEDS TO KILL OF EVERY CHARACTER EXCEPT SONIC, TAILS, KNUCKLES, AND ROBOTNIK AND MAKE THE SERIES 2D

ALSO PUT IN SCRATCH AND GROUNDER

SONIC'S BACK AS HE SHOULD BE

END THREAD

DMK

They toke a giant step foward with the game having 2D gameplay with good graphics then 100 back wih LOL WEREWOLF SONIC

SONIC SHOULDNT NEED SHITTY GIMMICKS TO SELL

Tyrannosaurus Reich

A werewolf Sonic.

Yeah, I think Sega is getting some ideas from crappy fan fictions.

Jesuszilla

March 23, 2008, 08:28:27 PM #7 Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 08:32:12 PM by [Kira]
Until I see a red hedgehog with white streaks or something, then I'll know when they're stealing from furry fanfics and webcomics for sure, but yeah that Wolf Sonic shit is just... Wow that's gay.

QuoteUpdate: Don't get too pumped -- Sega Magazine, the original source for this information, just posted a vague disclaimer saying that the info discussed in their article is back to being speculation. Sonic Unleashed is in the works with a giant budget, but the claim that it would be 2D might be dissolved by their latest mission statement: to "rebuild the Sonic brand and prove it could work in 3D environments." We'll let you know more about this situation as it develops.

Yeah, you proved it does work in 3D environments with SONIC FUCKING ADVENTURE. You lost credit after you made the shitpile that is SONIC HEROES.

Also

GOOD SONIC YOU LOOK KIND OF COOL

UHMEEEEBA

Fusion

That news answers the question I had in my mind: "Maybe Secret Rings and Sonic '06 were just tests to see what kind of game fans wanted?"

Jesuszilla

It's going to suck.

Advice, SEGA:
Pretend Shadow and anyone after SA2 never happened, put in Scratch and Grounder, go back to calling Eggman Dr. Robotnik, give him a reason for evil that makes sense, go back to classic gameplay with no bullshit "new gameplay elements" because you're adding nothing new, cut out the cheesy lines, get rid of the fucking 4Kids actors, get Steve Urkel Jaleel White to voice Sonic again, and lastly, GET YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR ASSES AND RECALL THAT THE ONLY FUCKING PURPOSE FOR TAILS EXISTING IS HIS FUCKING ABILITY TO FLY SO GIVE THAT BACK TO HIM AND MAKE HIM A BOY AGAIN!

Fusion

Tyrannosaurus Reich

Quote from: [Matsuda] on April 09, 2008, 05:25:20 PM
Quote from: [Kira] on April 09, 2008, 04:50:42 PMScratch and Grounder

They're nothing without their original VAs, y'know.

qft

Same goes for Robotnik without Long John Baldry.

Jango

I haven't played a Sonic game since 3 on the Genesis, and I'm really thankful I haven't tried any after that!