• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 04:16:32 AM

News:

If you have problems logging in, contact an administrator.

My opinion on: Sony

Started by Fusion, December 05, 2007, 06:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fusion

Ah, Sony, the company who created the legendary Playstation, followed up with something better, gave us a portable version of it, and then threw crap down our throats when they created the third console...

Where did ye go wrong?

Now don't get me wrong, Sony is a good company.  Their products work -most- of the time, and they kinda did bring us into the CD age.  But now they've just gotten pretentious.

With the coming of the rather experimental Blu-Ray format (some day we'll have to MOVE AWAY from CDs), Sony has adopted it as their brain child and is making it the PS3's proprietary format, shoving away such things as homebrew, PS1 and PS2 backwards compatibility, and with the PSP Slim, the video out is worthless because you pretty much have to have a wide-screen TV that supports progressive scan as well as have a pair of component cables just to use that feature and have the games look right.  Here I thought Sony wouldn't be that stupid as to try to force everybody to spend MORE money on their products and instead go for usability, but with Sony it's all money.

The PS3 is a console with 'flop' written on it.  The current action titles feature forgettable characters, or they're just ports of 360 games.  The games also have absurd load times and while they look impressive, they don't feel impressive.  "Oh come now, what's a little extra loading time?" a little extra loading time could be time well spent having fun blowing away the soldiers of a dictator's regime which has a god complex.  I'd like to do that, but what?  Everything's got to look bright and pretty and realistic because screw the bright color potential we're aiming for Hollywood!  Screw the rules, we've got brown all over the graphics!

Seriously, hearing the terms "multi-threaded" "teraflop" and "most realistic physics system ever" don't mean jack to me.  Okay, so you made a physics engine.  BIG DEAL!  ValVE did too.  So you can run 3 different kinds of rendering at the same time?  WELL WHAT ABOUT THE GAME!?  I don't CARE if you have specular maps, I don't CARE if you use phong diffusion, I don't care if you have a bunch of crap alpha-mapped, with raytracing, generated environments, dynamic glow all over the place, bloom, HDR, whatever, I don't care, I want to play a game, not stare at a pre-rendered environment in disguise as a game.

Come on, people, is all that graphic power, sound power, and all that jack really worth the load time?  I'd think better games would be made if we didn't jump to the next level in hardware for consoles.  Do more with less.  I as many people probably don't give a damn about the graphics.

Does anybody see why I chose Nintendo as my favorite company this console war?

UHMEEEEBA

Because you like being nickel and dimed for one use peripherals?

Jesuszilla

Eh?

Agreed, Nintendo's pretty much got it in the bag this console war. They have, what? Brawl coming up, Galaxy which received the highest ratings since OoT... It's got a lot of potential.

Plus you can't forget the fact Nintendo does its best to appeal to audiences both young and old, so they got that going for them.

Just try to keep things peaceful.

UHMEEEEBA

Fusion

Quote from: MMF on December 05, 2007, 06:48:55 PM
Because you like being nickel and dimed for one use peripherals?

Better than being nickel and dimed to replace a console.  Plus it's the peripheral deal is not as ridiculous as it looks.  The controllers are a bright white so it can't be hard to find them if you do happen to lose them.

But, eh, when a 360 gets the Red Rings of Death, I'll still have a functioning Nintendo console.

UHMEEEEBA

Yeah $20 x 4 to play a new game every now and then? Good deal, especially seeing how Nintendo will keep making more.

You know people do live in apartments that are colored... WHITE. If you seriously can't find your god damn shit then that's the fault of you being a messy bastard.

Your other points are fine, the 360 and PS3 also suck, but so does the Wii.

The generation is an abomination, there needs to be another Market Crash so we can start this market over without all this bullshit.

Fusion

It'll be the death cry of Sony fans everywhere.

Though I wouldn't say we needed a full-on crash, I'm just unhappy with a lot of the games being made so far.  First-person F.E.A.R clones that used to be decent games (TimeShift's demo was far better)

Robert the small

Quote from: Jesuszilla on December 05, 2007, 06:55:39 PM
Agreed, Nintendo's pretty much got it in the bag this console war. They have, what? Brawl coming up, Galaxy which received the highest ratings since OoT... It's got a lot of potential.
Potential, sure, but it isn't a very powerful system.   Its still pretty last gen in Processing power, graphics, and even if you have the innovations of Wiimote, the system won't last more then 5 years without having to switch over.

Sony's is waay too expensive, and the 360 isn't as stable as it should be, though the elite doesn't red ring as much.

Its too early to make decisions.  Early on I though Nintendo was going to win, they had the best stuff out.  Now look.

Jesuszilla

Well I guess this console war is like running in the Special Olympics: Even if you win, you're still retarded.

Although Wii does own and 360 is pretty good, and will be getting the later KoF games along with the PS3, but PS3 doesn't matter because it is made of AIDS, dust, design flaws, and fail.

Robert the small

Quote from: Jesuszilla on December 06, 2007, 12:09:04 AM
Although Wii does own and 360 is pretty good, and will be getting the later KoF games along with the PS3, but PS3 doesn't matter because it is made of AIDS, dust, design flaws, and fail.
Truth be told, the PS3 seems to be expensive, but give it time for good games to come out, and the price to go down, and then we'll see.

Jesuszilla

No, it fails. Period. Just about anything you'd want that's on PS3 is on 360.

Robert the small

Quote from: Jesuszilla on December 06, 2007, 02:22:09 AM
No, it fails. Period. Just about anything you'd want that's on PS3 is on 360.
Eh, dunno, so far, thats the case.  Later on, maybe not.