• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 10:53:02 AM

News:

Anyone found direct-linking to our files will be perma-banned. Click here for more info.

Fox's Review: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (Nintendo DS)

Started by Fusion, October 18, 2007, 08:12:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fusion

October 18, 2007, 08:12:19 AM Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 12:11:07 PM by Fox McCloud
Whaaaaaat?  What is this nonsense?  Fox playing a game that involves blood, whips, a Belmont and the Vampire Killer? What is a man!?  A miserable little pile of secrets!

(Story 8/10):

The game takes place in 1944, many years after Castlevania: Bloodlines.  John Morris, who was the previous game (timeline-wise)'s protagonist is dead, supposedly from his battle with Dracula taking it's toll on him, killing him.  Jonathan Morris, son of the late John Morris, wields the legendary whip of the Belmonts: The Vampire Killer.  But, due to his father never finishing his training, he cannot wield it like many others do.  Upon arrival at Dracula's castle, we meet Vincent, a salesman and priest for a nearby church.  You will load him up so much with gold it's a wonder why he even continues selling stuff.  Then there's the mysterious man who calls himself 'Wind'.  He plays a key role in the story, as he apparantly knows something about John Morris that Jonathan doesn't know.  I won't get too in-depth with the story, as I know the game's too fresh to spoil in my taste.

Spoiler if you dare:
John Morris was killed by using the Vampire Killer too much, Wind is in fact, Eric LeCarde from the previous (in timeline terms) game, Stella and Loretta are Eric's two daughters, Richter is the Vampire Killer's memory, and Nostradamus' great prophecy says Dracula with be reborn in 1999, the same year Julius Belmont rises and seals the vampire for good who later is reborn as a white-haired school boy who threatens the sexuality of men everywhere.

(Sound 10/10):

Here I was expecting the game's music to be crap.  The music is easily another memorable soundtrack in Castlevania history.  The sound effects pull off the Castlevania feel well.  There are, as usual, a few remixes of previous themes present in the game.  Among those is a remixed track from Dracula X, so we all know who is possibly present in in this game.  The english voice dubbing is fair, sounding good with the attacks but the actual spoken lines may or may not sound cornily cartoonish.  I don't have a problem with the voice acting, as it is few and far between you actually hear any spoken lines, and when I say 'few and far between' I mean 'in very few instances'.  But the voices are present.  What good's a Castlevania game if it sounds like crap?

(Gameplay 10/10:

Ah yes, it looks like Castlevania, it plays like Castlevania, therefore it must be Castlevania.  Jonathan starts off with only the worthless Vampire Killer whip, and will take -anything- better.  You won't have just the Vampier Killer for long, as you will acquire better weapons early on after meeting Vincent and Wind.  Smashing random objects is also present, as they will give you either some gold pieces, hearts to regenerate your MP, or new weapons and items.  Among these weapons is the Nebula, a whip that has 2.5 times the reach of any other whip.  It homes in on enemies with all of it's reach, making attacking from otherwise inconvenient spots a rather nice commodity.  It's also a good whip to have when battling the Whip's Memory near the real end of the game.

Also present is the RPG element, which allows you to switch weapons, items, sub-weapons and double-team attacks on the fly.  The most default move you will have is Thunder Cross (A.K.A Holy Lightning) which is pretty much a full-screen move, and you acquire other techniques which will come in useful.  This, combined with the story and the level of exploration make the game a very fun one that can last forever if you want it to.

Also present are the typical Boss Rush modes, as well as a shop mode.  Online shop mode, where you can buy items that other players have collected throughout the gameplay, though I found it more satisfying to find all the items myself.  Also over Wi-Fi is a co-op version of Boss Rush mode.  Sadly, there is no story co-op.

(Graphics 10/10):

I've never played Dawn of Sorrow, or Aria of Sorrow, or any of those, nor do I intend to, but as many people seem to say, the color variety is about on par, a little above Dawn of Sorrow's graphical capabilities.  They excel at animation detail, as not once have I seen a enemy that has 2 frames of animation and nothing more.  All of the enemies are beautifully detailed, both Jonathan and Charlotte have well done animation, the in-game graphics prove that the DS is more than capable of handling a Castlevania game.  Not to mention, some of the older sprites can even be made to look in-place.  Why do I say that?  That is because Richter Belmont and Maria Renard cameo as playable characters (and Richter as an optional boss).  Richter himself retains his Symphony of the Night spriteset, though it's sad they didn't put Alucard in, as he would've fit in with the animation style.  Though I suppose Alucard wouldn't have been any different from Johnathan gameplay wise, aside from not having the Vampire Killer.

Overall, I give this game a 10 out of 10.  Castlevania fans say it's almost as good as Symphony of the Night, I'd probably say it was better due to your ability to look at the map and focus on the gameplay at the same time.  Ah, the advantages of the DS.

It's a good buy, and it was also a good first Castlevania game (as in, first Castlevania game I legitimately own).

Well, that covers it.  I'm off to see if I can wade out my last day here at the skill center.

Robert the small

LOL the storyline for this one ruins the Castlevania continuity :(

Fusion

Actually, I think it fits in rather well.  I mean, 1999 is mentioned in the game as the year Dracula will rise again.  That's in fact the year he dies, which means the next game in this mini-timeline will involve Dracula's final destruction.

Robert the small

Quote from: Fox McCloud on October 18, 2007, 10:49:51 AM
Actually, I think it fits in rather well.  I mean, 1999 is mentioned in the game as the year Dracula will rise again.  That's in fact the year he dies, which means the next game in this mini-timeline will involve Dracula's final destruction.
Yeah, but the fact is, he comes back, Death can't sense Brauner or whatever his name is, among other things.

Personally, it ruins the continuity, but its fun.   Too bad they are going with a "LAWL ANIMU" look for castlevania instead of the rough look it had.

Fusion

Well, word is that next Castlevania DS they're ditching the anime look.