• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

April 24, 2024, 12:19:39 PM

News:

If you have problems logging in, contact an administrator.

MegaMan X4

Started by Double, March 21, 2006, 04:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Double

March 21, 2006, 04:34:22 PM Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 01:17:22 PM by Phoenix Magnion
We're going to do this one slightly differently, given the difference between X and Zero's games I will review each and give a score for each.

X:

Gameplay: Keeping with the previous X games, you got your heart tanks and Light Capsule's to track down. However, there are only two sub-tanks now, however the Weapon Tank and the Ex-Tank were added to make up for this. But despite this, X's new upgrades give him the ability to not use weapon energy when not using a charge shot, so a weapon tank is rather pointless. This game allows you the choice of two charge shot upgrades which is pretty unique. The ride chaser returns in a stage similar to the jump jump slide slide bull of MegaMan 8, but without the annoying voice, it isn't nearly as bad. For the most part it plays like a 32 bit version of the SNES games, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
18 out of 20

Music: Not too bad here. Some of the tracks are excellent, and the one's that aren't, don't totally suck ass.
14 out of 15

Translation: I don't know where else to put it so it goes here: X's voice actor sucks. In addition Dr. Light has a few nonsensical statements for a few of his upgrades. Finally, in a consistency error they mention Magma Dragoon betraying the Irregular Hunters, in the American versions they are the Maverick Hunters.
7 out of 10

Length: Intro stage, 8 Maverick stages, and three fortress stages. While not too bad it is a little on the short side with the three fortress stages.
14 out of 15

Rehash Factor: Largely new material, new sprites, new music. A fairly decent job was done here I can't see anything blatantly rehashed.
15 out of 15

Plot: X's plot features a lot about other characters. Specifically a lot of the cut scenes are about situations that X is not present in, such as the introduction scene with General, and my awesome slaughter of the Maverick Hunters. This would create somewhat of an uninvolved feeling in the plot were it not for the dialogue that occurs in the non-cut scenes, so it's not that bad. Finally, my blowing up all the Maverick Hunters, while awesome, was a tad clichéd, the idea had already been done with Vile and Mac. Regarding Sigma's involvement, it wasn't too bad as you could see he was obviously involved in a few of the cut scenes. Overall it's fairly decent but not spectacular.
8 out of 10

Difficulty: With the exception of two bosses all of the bosses in this game are fairly easy as X. While the stages might hold some challenge, any veteran of the series will have no problem with it. So it's probably a tad too easy.
13 out of 15

Total: 89/100 = 89 %

If only all the PSX games were like this.

Positive: Double.

Negative: This was the last time he had a body.