• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Wikipedia ban in College Papers in Vermont University

Started by Neon_Tiger, February 13, 2007, 09:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UHMEEEEBA

February 13, 2007, 09:12:38 PM Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 09:14:58 PM by Fljduhwwh Vprnlqj Pdq
Quote from: #badassSTUFF[00:41] <Neon_Tiger> Wikipedia is crap for any information.
[00:41] <Neon_Tiger> You can't use it in college papers for that reason.
[00:42] <Jesuszilla> orly
[00:42] <Neon_Tiger> YA RLY
[00:43] <Jesuszilla> not rly. ;(
[00:43] <Neon_Tiger> YA RLY
[00:43] <Jesuszilla> rly
[00:43] <Neon_Tiger> SRSLY
[00:43] <Jesuszilla> no rlt
[00:43] <Jesuszilla> *rly
[00:43] <Neon_Tiger> YA RLY
[00:44] <Vans> QUTD
[00:44] <Jesuszilla> stl not rly
[00:44] <Vans> yes so rly
[00:44] <Neon_Tiger> RLY at my college anyways, and quite a few others.
[00:44] <Jesuszilla> not rly
[00:44] <Neon_Tiger> It's just not relaible for information as anyone can edit it, and unsource things.

OH SNAP.

Seriously though, I figured my college was just getting in ahead of the game and it now looks that way.

See also (for irony's sake, Wikipedia's own pages on how it sucks): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Seigenthaler_Sr._Wikipedia_biography_controversy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Wikipedia#Use_of_dubious_sources

Now if you learned anything, you can't use those in your reports got it?

And oh yes, I did back up my old #badassSTUFF logs.

Jesuszilla

So in other words you can use it, but you have to bust your butt finding the correct source citation?

Just try to keep things peaceful.

UHMEEEEBA

February 13, 2007, 09:38:49 PM #2 Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 09:42:49 PM by Fljduhwwh Vprnlqj Pdq
Yup, in other words it isn't worth the time when you could have got the citation directly.

Edit: Also, as more colleges start to do this, I imagine High Schools will likely follow suite as they often like to portray themselves as mini-colleges.

Fusion

See, here's the trick.

Don't cite Wikipedia itself as the damn source.  Cite the sites that Wikipedia cites as the sources.  Know why?  Because that's the great thing about it: Saves you a TON of effort and you can potentially just copy the Wikipedia article and turn it in to get a %100 grade.