• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 09:18:50 AM

News:

If you have problems logging in, contact an administrator.

Fox's Review: Chaos Field

Started by Fusion, December 29, 2006, 01:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fusion

A literally not known top-down shooter that has as many bullets to dodge as Ikaruga does.  Picked it up today and thought I'd give it a whirl.

The game is, like most other shooters, set in the future.  An alien race named the "Apo" has pretty much struck down every form of resistance Mankind has had to offer, and you as the player are the last hope.  The game seems kinda short to me, as usually a level consists of just a couple of enemies, then mid-boss then straight to the boss.  You can switch between two different "fields".  The Order Field, and of course the Chaos Field.

The differences between the two fields are this: The Order Field offers you a better defense, though your attacks (and the enemy's attacks) are weaker.  Shifting into the Chaos Field will give you extra firepower, but the enemy will be just as relentless as you will be.

The game's made of 5 "phases", each containing at least 10 enemies.  There's no real power ups, just your 'swords' (which can stop certain kinds of enemy fire and damage enemies), your shield projection, the field switcher, and of course your guns.

The music side of the sound is kinda loud-ish, seeming like they mixed both tracks into a stereo track then played it as Mono.  Kinda like how some people record directly from their sound card with the volume like all the way at max so no one can understand what's going on.  That's sorta how the music is, but every other sound effect is fine.  In some cases unhearable over the loud techno music that plays.  I actually turned my TV set down a little so I wouldn't be 'sucked in' to loud as hell techno music.

The music itself, well... I haven't found any gems among the music so far but it's kinda eh.

Again, it's got as many bullets as Ikaruga does, but thankfully you can block most of 'em.   The only thing though is how unforgiving the 'lives' system is.  You can only get hit 3 times before your ship explodes and it's game over.  You're allowed to continue 5 times before it's completely game over.

A fine game, in my opinion.  How was THIS for an out-of-the-usual review?  Now, I've got more Chaos Field, Sonic Adventure DX, Megaman X: Command Mission, and Federation vs. Zeon to play.