• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 09:59:58 AM

News:

Anyone found direct-linking to our files will be perma-banned. Click here for more info.

ITT: Mega Man Stuff

Started by UHMEEEEBA, August 15, 2012, 10:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fusion

December 09, 2012, 09:31:50 AM #30 Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 09:35:23 AM by Fox McCloud
I'm actually somewhat amazed they'd give a fangame official treatment.

But also partially disappointed.  Mostly because, well, Capcom didn't exactly make any of the content, defeating the point of the hate from the Megaman community.  That and this certainly doesn't go over well for the potential implications it has for the franchise at large.

That is, that if we get an actual new game, it's pretty much a clusterfuck of design choices, where the developer clearly wanted to make a certain kind of game, but the publisher wanted a "Social RPG" thereby trashing an entire level of depth the game could've had, even on the weak iOS MMX engine. 

And then you've got this, a fangame given the official Capcom branding, not as a disclaimer.  No actual work put in to it by Capcom themselves other than the authorization of the Megaman\Street Fighter 25th anniversary logos, a rebranding of the game's title, and an "official release" where, in most of my research, Capcom is putting their name so far ahead of the original developers, that a lot of the more idiotic fans are saying that this is all Capcom's work, when it's clearly not.

Megaman VS Street Fighter Fan Game Demo( WIP3 )

I'm only going to keep tabs on this because it's an interesting turn of events.

UHMEEEEBA

According to the press release at IGN, they did give the guy some funding and some nebulous support. Also they brought in a chiptune artist.

UHMEEEEBA

Jesuszilla

And as I suspected before I even made the joke, she does indeed have similarities with Q. Bee.

Just try to keep things peaceful.

Fusion

No saving in SFxMM was intentional.

Intentional because it could be completed in 40 minutes in one sitting.  And because MM1 didn't have a save function.

EDIT: Just noticed the video I linked earlier was copyright claim'd....  By Sega.

Jesuszilla

lmfao what? What the hell does SEGA have to do with anything?!

UHMEEEEBA

No saving (or even a password system) isn't good really in this day in age regardless of how "retro" you're trying to be. Not to mention the game is made in Game Maker which isn't exactly the most stable thing so really anything would be better than nothing.

The game is so boss focused (the stages honestly all are an after thought, are as bland as fuck and any platforming in them is trivial at best) they
could at least add a boss select after you beat the game or something. Chun-Li's stage is literally a fucking straight line for fucks sake.

Hell if you absolutely need to play a Mega Man fan game go google up Rokko Chan it's free.

Jesuszilla

December 19, 2012, 02:02:40 AM #37 Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 02:21:25 AM by Jesuszilla
Suddenly, Alexlexus's Gouken getting in SF3OE seems plausible.

And speaking of save features, what about a password system? How hard could that be? There's not much data to save, so a password system should be simple. All it really is is a header of sorts that saves the following information:

Number of lives
Number of E-Tanks
Number of W-tanks (dunno if this game has them)
Number of bolts (dunno if this game has them)
Robot Masters beaten Humans slaughtered/Current weapons (0 or 1, not that difficult)

You can fit every single one of these into a char (whose values range from 0-255, hey, seems like something THE NES COULD FUCKING DO), so the header is nothing more than an array. I don't know how Game Maker works, but surely implementing something like this isn't that hard. The concept itself certainly isn't rocket science.

But then when you think about it more, hey, know what else fit in char? FUCKING ASCII, THAT'S WHY THEY CALL IT "CHAR" IN THE FIRST PLACE. WRITE TO FILE, READ, DONE, THERE'S YOUR DAMN SAVE FEATURE.

What about encryption, you ask? Don't be a pussy and hack in the items, that is all.

UHMEEEEBA

Just e-tanks and those usually don't get saved by passwords, Mega Man 3, the Game Boy games and the localized Mega Man 2 not withstanding. W and S tanks would be kind of redundant since the game refills your weapon energy if you die like MM8 and Powered Up. On the subject of e-tanks they're half assed in SFxMM they don't respawn if you game over, unlike every other Mega Man game ever not necessarily a bad thing but use them carefully if you need them I guess.

A password system for SFxMM would however need to track [spoiler]the number of bosses perfected, since that's how you fight Akuma/Gouki you need at least three by the end of the game. Still wouldn't be that difficult.

Side note in what's possibly the laziest thing I've seen ever the game flags for perfects if you have full health, if you took damage in the stage you'll have to die to even have a shot. On the other hand you can get slapped around a bunch and then use an e-tank and finish off the boss with full heath it'll count.[/spoiler]

Jesuszilla

Quote from: UHMEEEEBA on December 19, 2012, 02:44:33 AM
[spoiler]
Side note in what's possibly the laziest thing I've seen ever the game flags for perfects if you have full health, if you took damage in the stage you'll have to die to even have a shot. On the other hand you can get slapped around a bunch and then use an e-tank and finish off the boss with full heath it'll count.[/spoiler]
Yet another good example that proves that these people can't code.

Jesuszilla

I think Evil Homer's gonna be very happy... they used Dark Man's theme.

Jango

UHMEEEEBA

Quote from: Jesuszilla on January 17, 2013, 12:00:44 AM
I think Evil Homer's gonna be very happy... they used Dark Man's theme.

Dark Man's theme has been in pretty much every single arrangement CD the last two years (multiple times for some of them too), to the point where it's becoming as overplayed as Wily Stage 1 from Mega Man 2.

That version in the trailer is one of the ones from We are ROCK-MEN I believe.

Brandy Bogard

[spoiler][/spoiler]