• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 04:50:31 AM

News:

If you have problems logging in, contact an administrator.

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Started by UHMEEEEBA, September 22, 2010, 07:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrannosaurus Reich

Quote from: UHMEEEEBA on November 22, 2010, 06:02:58 PM
Quote from: Tyrannosaurus Reich on November 20, 2010, 11:46:27 AM
Eh, I need to hear the song without the game sounds before I can make a final judgement

Here you go.

oh so that's what it sounds like!

god damn i hope the original music is better than this

UHMEEEEBA

November 22, 2010, 08:58:02 PM #61 Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 09:01:31 PM by UHMEEEEBA
Well you can find some of the new tracks on youtube, people have been fairly slow in uploading them though. I'm personally not impressed with the music in general and most of the new stuff isn't that good.

There aren't that many new tracks overall though, there's the beach themes, the lava theme, some in the cliff levels, boss themes and rocket barrel theme. Overall they reuse the DKC soundtrack whenever possible even throwing in the snow level music in the cliff world for example.

Looking at the credits there were about five people involved in the music production, I suspect the Super Metroid guy did the lava theme, the final boss theme and then cashed his check.

UHMEEEEBA

Here's a collection of some of the arranged tracks that haven't been in the trailers, or on either of the websites.

Tree Top Rock

Fear Factory, if you were expecting something industrial you will be sorely disappointed.

Life in the Mines

UHMEEEEBA

November 29, 2010, 11:58:26 PM #64 Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 12:04:11 AM by UHMEEEEBA
Got to the final final level, I honestly am wondering if I hallucinated it.

[spoiler]You jump on giant fruits and are attacked by Koalas in helicopters throwing bombs. Then you unlock the ability to play the games in a mirrored mode with only one hit point and cannot use Diddy.

I am NOT making this up. Koalas in helicopters throwing bombs.[/spoiler]

Jango

I went to Gamestop to pick it up as a Christmas present for my bro, and the clerk was raving about it, saying it was one of the best games he's played in years. Then there was another clerk there who was trying to get him back to earth and then it devolved into a Wii VS 360 fight right at the checkstand. Jegus Chris.

UHMEEEEBA

It's pretty good, not as good as DKC2 and a bit flawed at times (especially the control scheme) but it's pretty good.

But there's a lot of concept art for some really cool new level ideas they never got around to, a bit disappointing.

Jango

Quote from: UHMEEEEBA on November 30, 2010, 01:56:16 AM
It's pretty good, not as good as DKC2 and a bit flawed at times (especially the control scheme) but it's pretty good.
Yeah DKC2 is a tough act to follow, and it's still one of my favorite games of all time. But as long as it's better than DKC3 then it's all good.

Jesuszilla

Just try to keep things peaceful.

UHMEEEEBA

November 30, 2010, 10:07:34 PM #69 Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 10:12:16 PM by UHMEEEEBA
DKC3 was a fine game but it sort of foreshadowed Rare's future of having lots of collectibles in their games moreso than DKC2 which had DK Coins (which were technically optional) and the bonus coins, DKC3 added in a bunch of shit for the bear collections, made DK Coins mandatory and introduced Banana Birds.

Also unlike the level gimmicks in the previous two in DKC3 they are not only frequent but a few of them are just obnoxious and bad game design, for instance two words:

Poisonous Pipeline

I still like DKC3 but between that and Rocket Barrel Rush it has some of the most obnoxious one shot rap name levels in any platformer I have ever played. It didn't help I played DKC3 on hard mode* once for 105 % instead of the normal 103 %, but seriously FUCK those levels.

*No star barrels or DK barrels.

DKCR's level gimmicks are pretty good and for the most part are challenging in a legitimate way**, that alone if nothing else makes it a dramatic improvement on DKC3.

**If you are deaf however, one of them will be more annoying than Poisonous Pipeline would ever be.

Jango

Hah, I was reading and saw "rap name" and was like "what?" Then I remembered the Vaginasta-esque wordfilter.

[spoiler=you don't have to read this if you ever visited MI]For a while, Mugen Infantry censored SyN to "Vagina," so you'd get all sorts of weird things, like synchronize turning into vaginachronize (which was of course VERY appropriate when talking about Type Moon)[/spoiler]

Brandy Bogard

[spoiler][/spoiler]