• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 02:23:17 AM

News:

If you have problems logging in, contact an administrator.

Metroid: Other Mistakes

Started by Jesuszilla, September 12, 2010, 10:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UHMEEEEBA

And this is what happens when you get lock happy with doors to force only one way of progression through the game.

Jesuszilla

hah. always in these adventure types...

Just try to keep things peaceful.

UHMEEEEBA

Nintendo of Japan is offering a fix, the specifics however are fucking hilarious a physical patch to your save file. That is to say you have to mail them the whole damn system and all because the Wii doesn't have the chops to do file patching on its own.

Fucking hilarious.

Jesuszilla

... has that ever been DONE before? What the HELL.

UHMEEEEBA

Game breaking bugs like these aren't new (heck I remember there being several in the last Zelda), problem is this is very easy to run into if you're the type of person who likes to save whenever you beat a boss (which given the inability to get energy from normal enemies...), so a lot more people are running into it I guess and thus Nintendo has decided to bite the bullet and put out some sort of a fix.

UHMEEEEBA

Double post, Nintendo of America has hopped on board too.

The official description of how the problem goes down is pretty sad, you should really expect players will try to back track if it's an option, especially in a game where the main way of healing is using save stations as enemies don't drop health.

Fusion

Oh hey, they forgot to bugtest what would happen if someone backtracked!

UHMEEEEBA

And now lazy model development time, all the members of the 7th Platoon have James Pierce's nametag. All of them. It's not really a big issue as you only ever see it once in game but it made me chuckle.

Jesuszilla

UHMEEEEBA

Well he apparently doesn't remember himself.

Sgt Squirrel

Quote from: UHMEEEEBA on September 27, 2010, 03:01:50 PM
(heck I remember there being several in the last Zelda)
Sup Twilight Hack lol

Fusion

October 13, 2010, 12:29:28 PM #41 Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 10:36:43 PM by Fox McCloud
I know we could just let this die, but The Egad's doing his take on Other M.

Metroid: Other M "in retrospect" Part 0
Metroid: Other M "in retrospect" Part 1

"All I know is, I thought I was going to address the portrayal of Samus Aran as canonical material based on her characterization in the Metroid Prime trilogy, but as it turns out, I don't have to do that anymore!  Sakamoto has just flushed Metroid Prime down the toilet with the advent of Other M, and he wants us to believe Metroid Prime happened in some alternate universe wherein Samus Aran actually appeals to people who might actually want to play a video game!"

Jesuszilla

want to might actually want to

Fusion

More story-related stuff.

[spoiler]
The Power Suit itself is an entity of Samus' will.  That is, her mood pretty much controls the suit.  This was brought up in the Zero Mission manga and canonized by Other M.  The problems begin when you look at this in the context of the games themselves, because external material has become required reading.

Before I continue with this, I'd like to point out an example of the exact circumstances that Samus' suit can fail to function.  When Samus herself is having trauma of some sort, be it emotional or physical, the suit falters and can fail to function. 

The events of Metroid: Zero Mission, thanks to this revelation, end up breaking some of the events concerning Samus' suit itself in Metroid II.  Even then, that's not without damage to Zero Mission itself.  Samus wasn't wounded when she crash-landed, she was perfectly capable of moving, nor did she really let on any indication that she was in emotional turmoil.

The loss of her Power Suit would be fine until you consider that the suit is powered by Samus' will.  So Samus must be awfully broken to not just turn it back on, storm the Pirates' mothership and leave.  You later get the Gravity Suit, which has the traditional Metroid II Varia suit appearance, which presents a problem as far as Metroid II goes...

Does Samus lose the physical features of the Gravity Suit?  If so, why?  According to Zero Mission, her suit was disabled and could not be used, plus the new old suit worked with ancient Chozo stuff and replaced the previous one.  Why does she go back to the bare bones Power Suit then?  For the record, I don't consider the Power Suit from Metroid 3 to be the original suit, more like an inadequate Varia Suit.  A good portion of Metroid II was retconned because of Other M

But this also brings up a problem with Metroid Fusion.  After Samus gets infected by the X parasites, she goes unconscious and parts of her suit have to be surgically removed because of it.  If the suit has to be maintained actively, why doesn't it just turn off?  It can't be because of the X parasites, they can't interact directly with machinery.  Admittedly, the SA-X shouldn't even exist, leading the whole X parasites thing into it's own kind of shaky canonical ground.

This renders the pivotal story moments of Zero Mission and Fusion into special-case examples.  It's as if what Sakamoto has been building the Metroid franchise to be is a video game-based anime series, which is how the series canon now feels like, and the Prime series were an OVA rendered non-canon.  I find it hard to believe that Samus herself could be this distant from most any video game player, that underneath the suit all she really amounts to "waifu" material.[/spoiler]

UHMEEEEBA

There was only one way for them to have made the suit thing not totally retarded.

[spoiler]Have the Deleter shoot Samus in the back instead of Adam, and then state he was never really was on her side. Hell at the very least it'd give the Deleter subplot an actual in game conclusion instead of leaving the players to play connect the dots.[/spoiler]