• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

April 24, 2024, 06:25:19 AM

News:

If you have problems logging in, contact an administrator.

Metroid: Other Mistakes

Started by Jesuszilla, September 12, 2010, 10:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fusion

September 21, 2010, 03:43:36 PM #15 Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 03:45:27 PM by Fox McCloud
The Game Overthinker puts in his two cents.

I don't think he quite gets why we hate Other M, and is too quick to tell us to just accept it.

Also post 1138 is to be commemorated with a Stormtrooper.

UHMEEEEBA

September 21, 2010, 04:02:29 PM #16 Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 04:04:24 PM by UHMEEEEBA
Fittingly when I get to talking about the plot there will be Stormtrooper comparisons, specifically how most of the 7th Platoon has about as much characterization as the Green Biker Dude.

Jesuszilla

That's how most soldiers in games are.

Just try to keep things peaceful.

UHMEEEEBA

Yeah but when one of you're main selling points of the game is how it's the first in the series with a larger supporting cast...

Hell for as much as I disliked Prime 3 the characters in that actually had some personality.

Jesuszilla

September 21, 2010, 05:23:12 PM #19 Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 05:25:14 PM by Jesuszilla
Didn't take much to have a larger supporting cast. Before it was just Samus and her only source of help was the Chozo, right?

It's like, "Where the hell were you fuckers when I had to fight two bigass reptilian creatures and then blow up everything? And now you're giving me orders? Fuck you."

Just try to keep things peaceful.

UHMEEEEBA

The Chozo sort of ascended to a higher plain or something after raising Samus, barring being Zombie Goasts in the first Prime they don't actually ever appear.

There has been a supporting cast in previous games, like Adam the computer in Metroid Fusion, who also gave Samus orders but handled it much better. Hell even Prime 3 handled it better.

Tyrannosaurus Reich

The Game Overthinker is full of shit, IMO.

All of his videos are just "FPS GAMES SUCK" and "NINTENDO IS YOUR GOD"

UHMEEEEBA

Yeah I thought about mentioning that but I didn't because I'm not to familiar with him. He seems to hate on the Prime series solely for having been first person in what Fusion posted.

I'll give you FPS games are a bit stagnant right now but that happens to ever genre at some point.

UHMEEEEBA

Too busy to deal with the plot right now. Instead I'm going to talk about the music and rehashedness, because hell why not.

The music in this game is very atmospheric, it's not bad but I really don't think it fits the atmosphere they were going with. Had it been something like Fusion where there was a super powered evil version of Samus that could pop up out of nowhere at any time it might fit a bit more. The fight music also seems a bit repetitive. I really can't say much else as the music is really unmemorable which is a bit of a shame really and probably the biggest complaint you could label against the sound track.

So now time to talk about rehashing a bit, spoilers obviously.

[spoiler]Stop me if you've heard this one, Samus goes to a derelict biological research space station, takes orders from a dude named Adam, fights a bioweapon with gravity altering powers named Nightmare and fights Ridley who has somehow been revived from beyond the grave. Also she finds out to her shock and horror the GF have started up a Metroid breeding program.

I just described Metroid Fusion AND Metroid: Other M, no really all that happens in BOTH games! Even being shocked by the GF breeding Metroids, both times. I'm really amazed at this it's honestly like Sakamoto the guy responsible for the plot (Team Ninja had nothing to do with it and interviews confirm it was basically all him behind the plot.) just picked up his Metroid Fusion plot summary and wrote over it. I'm really shocked at this really, it's sloppy and just sets the game up to being compared to Metroid Fusion... which is a fight it's just not going to win.

That aside most enemies are from Super Metroid, 3d models based on their old Super Metroid sprites, the Zoomers are even purple. There is a story reason for this the GF accidentally cloned them all along with the Metroids, I'll discuss that a bit earlier. Reusing enemies is one thing, I really am not going to fault them for that...

But a few of the major bosses are from past games. Ridley, Nightmare, Queen Metroid and FUCKING PHANTOON of all bosses (who oddly enough is technically the final boss for some reason). With the exception of Ridley these were all pretty obviously nostalgia plays. I can understand why you'd want to do that, but doing that while supposedly taking the series in a new direction just comes across as really hypocritical and cherry picking your favorite parts of the past games.

I'm probably making it out to be a bigger deal than it really is as there are quite a few new bosses and even those old ones fight differently due to the perspective if nothing else, but it really rubs me the wrong way.[/spoiler]

Fusion

I think I can say this much for the story.  Spoilers for, well, spoilers.

[spoiler]Considering Adam probably didn't even have a body or memories TO recover, I'd say that this game ruins the plot of Metroid Fusion by overcomplicating it.  See, Adam was in Sector Zero when it self-destructed, and I doubt that Adam's withstood that in any way.  It completely breaks the illusion, and it breaks Fusion because now we realize that Adam isn't the AI, but merely a regular construct possibly formed off of how Samus described him alone.  Because all Samus had done in Fusion, was tell a computer to weigh options.[/spoiler]

UHMEEEEBA

[spoiler]Let alone the whole Samus being surprised by the GF having a secret Metroid breeding project, twice.

The computer does do the "Any objections, lady?" line one point in Fusion, so I think it's still supposed to be him. How they managed to scrape enough of Adam's brain off the wreckage of Sector Zero is another matter entirely.[/spoiler]

Fusion

UHMEEEEBA

You sure? That just looks like a blog post on the same site by someone else. Not that he doesn't raise valid points.

Tyrannosaurus Reich

September 26, 2010, 02:18:02 PM #28 Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 02:29:48 PM by Tyrannosaurus Reich
I love how the comments are all "if you don't like him don't watch"

oh and i want to give this man a GIANT bro fist for that blog post

Fusion

So, poor sales, the worst characterization of Samus yet, and now a game-breaking bug...