• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

April 23, 2024, 03:55:43 PM

News:

Visit our IRC channel, #TrinityMUGEN on irc.sorcery.net!

Mega Man Universe

Started by UHMEEEEBA, April 27, 2010, 10:04:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UHMEEEEBA

UHMEEEEBA

Inafune's official comments about the cancellation of Universe. To truncate a long story they moved to cancel it pretty much the day he left Capcom and he is very disappointed Capcom threw the game under the bus because it was his attempt to show his superiors the western market and digital content (presumably REAL digital content and not key unlocks) matters.

Fusion

Hate to think I'm jinxing it, but I bet Legends 3 is under the exact same kind of pressure.  Both of them were projects Inafune wanted to pursue, but Capcom didn't think they'd be worthwhile.

This makes it seem very much like Capcom has no interest pursuing anything Megaman-related whatsoever.  At the very least, they don't think the series will sell at all.  The franchise got a lucky break with Mega Man 9, because that, like Street Fighter 4 and Marvel vs. Capcom 3, had the constant rumor mill to thank for their success.  Don't tell me that "oh they really want to" because that's just lying.

UHMEEEEBA

May 26, 2011, 09:56:34 PM #63 Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 10:11:13 PM by UHMEEEEBA
Universe was announced almost a year ago since then the only thing the classic franchise has had going for it is the new comic so yeah it's probably safe to say Capcom just doesn't give a fuck anymore.

Jesuszilla

So can we assume Megaman is going to be retired and left to rot?

Just try to keep things peaceful.

UHMEEEEBA

I'd say the classic series still a bit of hope in Capcom just continuing retro 8 bit titles, anything new like what Inafune wanted though yeah no dice. So I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom craps out Mega Man 11 some time but beyond that...

As for the rest of the Mega Man franchises well,

X: Despite it's wide fan base Capcom hasn't made much of a profit on a X series title since X5. I also don't see Capcom ever doing a "retro" X game, in large part because X fans tend to be whiny brats. Best case scenario I see for it is getting pushed to portable systems, full console releases just seem unlikely.

Legends: Legends 3 s probably going to get canceled and the series has never sold well.

Battle Network: Ended, attempt at the Star Force remake was sent to the bargain bin in Japan (where the series has always been more popular) in about a week, was subsequently deemed such a bad idea it wasn't even localized.

Zero: Ended.

ZX: ZX and ZX Advent sold ok in Japan... but on the international market ZX Advent is one of the worst selling Mega Man games of all time. Even not considering that ZX Advent had a 33 % drop in sales from the first game in Japan. Add to that Advent came out five years ago and I'd say it's fairly likely the series is dead.

Star Force: The latter games didn't sell either and the Battle Network crossover remake sold terribly. Also the least popular of the franchises.

So stepping back pretty much all the Mega Man franchises from a business stand point are suicide, and Inafune is no longer around to vouch for any of them.

Jesuszilla

Just try to keep things peaceful.