• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 02:17:18 PM

News:

Anyone found direct-linking to our files will be perma-banned. Click here for more info.

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Started by Neon_Tiger, June 02, 2009, 12:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UHMEEEEBA

Yeah but that's to be expected, there are certain franchises they could literally sell shit in a box and people would buy it for the title alone. Mario's one, Sonic's another good example.

Name power is a powerful thing as far as video games go, hell we have Battle and Diet Battle Networks to show for that, they've really got jack all to do with the rest of the series, Silent Hill 4 was originally a completely different game they slapped "Silent Hill" in front of to make it sell better. Hell they're doing it to that new Castlevania game too, remember?

In short, people are stupid.

Jango

I'd buy a game entitled "Okami" even if the game was about a robot shooting school girls (double points if you shoot them during a panchira)

Does that make me a bad person?

UHMEEEEBA

Some may view the following as a spoiler, those people are retarded but I tagged it anyways.

[spoiler]

Original stage design do not steal.[/spoiler]

Anjel

UHMEEEEBA

That's because unlike the rest of the game is likely to have, that is good stage design.

UHMEEEEBA

It might be worse.

[spoiler]Some reports say that level is composed of multiple areas from Mario 64 thrown together in a Frankenstein like fashion.[/spoiler]

UHMEEEEBA

[spoiler]

I like how the background is less detailed than it was Mario 64.[/spoiler]

Jango

I almost thought I was watching a bad mod of Super Mario 64

UHMEEEEBA

Well Galaxy 2 looks to be a bad mod of Galaxy 1 which was Mario 64 IN SPACE, so close enough.

I feel compelled to rent this later to see how awful it is.

Jesuszilla

I'm not even going to give it that.

Just try to keep things peaceful.

Fusion

May 20, 2010, 12:14:48 PM #25 Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 04:36:34 PM by Fox McCloud
It boggles me.  If that (and possibly every other) Mario 64 level weren't built in to the game but someone ported them (provided we knew what formats Galaxy used) anyway, I'm pretty sure a lot of us wouldn't be like "Nintendo are dicks" and instead be all "that guy's pretty cool".

UHMEEEEBA

Actually no because anything to come out of the Mario Galaxy engine is probably going to be overrated trash.

Fusion

Then enlighten me: What is so wrong with Galaxy's engine that makes Mario 64 levels in it end up as a disgrace?  Without any real reason it's about as valid as most any argument a Sonic fanboy can put up as evidence that Sonic 4 "will suck".

UHMEEEEBA

Oh let me count the ways for you:

Wii-Mote controlled spin attack that is not dependent on the motion you move the controller in and could just as easily be assigned to a button. in other words gimmicky motion controls for the sake of having them.

As a corollary to the above the loss of all attacks from Mario 64.

Horrible camera "controls" of Galaxy compared to even Mario 64. Quoted as nine times out of ten in Galaxy you can't even move the camera at all.

Floatier physics compared to Mario 64 and the Spin Attack being used for additional height combined with the still existing long jump make Mario 64's harder jumps trivial.

Overall slower pace of Galaxy compared to Mario 64.

Enemies not being properly emulated, compare the Piranha Plant for instance it Mario 64 you had to sneak up on it, in Galaxy 2 it's just a regular enemy. Heck they even threw a random Wiggler in that stage for no apparent reason.

Starbits are in the stage now and can be used to stun enemies whenever you want instead of actually dealing with them normally.

One last thing, even if "some guy" did this he'd be doing it for free not putting it in a retail game for profit.

On the bright side wall jumping Galaxy is easier, oh boy!

Fusion

Quote from: UHMEEEEBA on May 20, 2010, 05:10:36 PM
Wii-Mote controlled spin attack that is not dependent on the motion you move the controller in and could just as easily be assigned to a button. in other words gimmicky motion controls for the sake of having them.

The Mario 64 gameplay was never designed around the concept of using the spin move and as such can probably be completed without it if the videos showing the stages have anything to say about it.

As a corollary to the above the loss of all attacks from Mario 64.

The spin is more useful and certainly more to the point than the melee attacks ever were.  Plus, it serves the exact same purpose when used offensively.  I'd much rather take the spin over the pointless combo.

Horrible camera "controls" of Galaxy compared to even Mario 64. Quoted as nine times out of ten in Galaxy you can't even move the camera at all.

I saw no problems with visibility when I saw the two videos of this particular stage there are.  I never saw an instance where the camera was actively trying to get the player to do something stupid, did you?

Floatier physics compared to Mario 64 and the Spin Attack being used for additional height combined with the still existing long jump make Mario 64's harder jumps trivial.
AND
Overall slower pace of Galaxy compared to Mario 64.

You're testing me, aren't you?  This really sounds like a fan-made list of Sonic 4 complaints only relabeled.

Enemies not being properly emulated, compare the Piranha Plant for instance it Mario 64 you had to sneak up on it, in Galaxy 2 it's just a regular enemy. Heck they even threw a random Wiggler in that stage for no apparent reason.

It is a regular enemy in both.  The only difference is that it's not sleeping on the job this time around.  Also, yeah the wiggler may seem pointless but I'm betting he's there for filler considering that I don't think there ever was an enemy in that particular spot. 

Starbits are in the stage now and can be used to stun enemies whenever you want instead of actually dealing with them normally.

We're required to use them in the Mario 64 stages?  Huh, that video seemed to show otherwise.