• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 06:07:27 PM

News:

If you have problems logging in, contact an administrator.

Fox's Review: Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake

Started by Fusion, April 22, 2006, 09:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fusion

(Reason for differing-in-size screenshots: I couldn't get perfect res for the logo)

Thought I'd be reviewing a Star Wars game, didn't you!?

Ah yes, the only Metal Gear game whose counterpart was just an embarrassment to all of Konami.  This game continues the story of Metal Gear, Snake having been sent to "Zanzibar Land" en route to encounter the new metal gear threat blah blah blah Snake tears Big Boss apart with his own hands and then Chuck Norris drops in, roundhouse kicks the new Metal Gear, blah blah blah, then Big Boss is dead.  Story in a nutshell.  Oh, and Raiden dies, too.

This is the first game one face we know appears: Colonel Campbell.  This very person alone is the reason why Snake's Revenge is not mentioned in Metal Gear Solid itself.  But in the actual MSX version (not the version MGS3: Subsistence shows us) the faces aren't very much life the characters, Snake looks like Mel Gibson in the codec windows.  But, I guess that can't be avoided when you haven't come up with a unique look for Snake yet.

The sound is pretty much top-notch, all of the music is remastered in Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions, just about.  Some of the music isn't featured in later games.  Most of the effects somewhat stem from Metal Gear's (MSX) sound effects.  You can't blame Konami for making a good game.

The gameplay itself is a bit slow, but you're working with a probably hard-as-hell platform to code for that doesn't support that real-time movement present in the NES Metal Gear and that POS Snake's Revenge.  It's pretty good, but a bit hard to control if you're not playing the Subsistence version.

Oh, yeah, let's not forget:
!
The ever ominous red exclamation mark.

This ends my review of the whenever.