• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 12:08:23 PM

News:

If you have problems logging in, contact an administrator.

RR Week: Pokémon Yellow

Started by Double, October 20, 2008, 09:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Double

Intro: Today we continue RR Week with an all time low, a Pokémon game. I personally sat out on the original Pokémon Red and Blue, because I was a poor Vermonter. I got the subsequent Yellow version though, and played that.

Gameplay: This is a basic monster catching game or whatever you want to call that genre, you run around with a Pokémon, fight wild ones and catch them. Occasionally  you fight dudes who have more Pokémon which are stronger and you can't catch but that's really the fundamental gameplay.

Above that, you progress through the game by beating Gym Leaders to get moves for your Pokémon so you can go to areas you can't go to yet. I dislike this not for forcing the character for a certain area where he or she must grind, but because it limits what the player can do with the teams move set. A full team can have 24 moves, HMs will take up five of those. Why can't you say get a machete instead of cut or a raft instead of surf? Come on a Pokémon Trainer with a fucking machete, riding a raft, wearing a jet pack and holding a flashlight would be awesome you know it. Strength, I can't think of anything for though.

Really though that's the basic gameplay, occasionally you'll have to fight a Pokémon mafia, and there are side quests but really that's it. It's quite primitive, even for its time.
12 out of 20

Music: The game has fairly good music for a system that has fundamentally 8-bit sound hardware. The only real complaint one could bring up is the games music tends to be repetitive, which isn't too bad unless a battle really drags on. Also,

13 out of 15

Translation: As far as I can tell nothing's wrong, feel free to tell me otherwise.
10 out of 10

Length: If you try and do everything in the game it will take quite a bit of time. If you don't you could probably beat in a couple days.
12 out of 15

Rehash Factor: First game in the series so it gets full points? Well no, Pokémon Yellow is fundamentally a remake of Pokémon Red and Blue made to capitalize off of the anime. It uses all of the same assets as Red and Blue and only added in a few new things, such as some new silly sidequests (most of which you'll never get to because Nintendo is retarded), different Pokémon locations and upgraded sprites. Things that really have no effect on the overall product.
5 out of 15

Plot: So you get a Pokémon from Professor Oak and a Pokedex and then are set out to catalog every Pokémon species, become champion, and take down a Pokémon Mafia. However, all this seems rather silly, let's think about it. First of all Oak's sending children out through the countryside with no support and expects them to be fine. What would happen if they fell down a ladder in one of the caves? I guess that's how the Zubats are so plentiful, they eat dead Pokémon Trainers. Second a child becoming champion? That really doesn't make much sense now does it, you would think that older trainers would be FAR more experienced then you in both level and tactics, but no they're all n00bs. And finally with Team Rocket, why the hell doesn't Giovanni just give his grunts guns I know it's crazy sounding but I think it could work. Hell in the lack of guns give them a fucking butter knife, I mean jeez. At least no one got kidnapped.
4 out of 10

Difficulty: The game really isn't hard, you want to win? Use this party save for when you need to use an HM or something:
Blastoise
The Ice Bird Guy
The Electric Bird Guy
Charizard
Alakazam
Snorlax

Alternatively you can do this:
Alakazam
Magikarp
Magikarp
Magikarp
Magikarp
Magikarp

Which brings us to the next point; the Dark and Steel types didn't exist yet, so the Psychic type was horribly, horribly broken in the game.

The only hard part of the game is finding a mother ****ing Chansey.
7 out of 15

Total: 63/100 = 63 %

This would be the time where I would recommend playing the more recent versions because this game is quite primitive. But I won't, as the gist I got from Brawl is the series now sucks balls* and the Pokémon designs now totally suck. Instead I recommend you play Pokémon Gold or Silver, or a more sensible answer, not play Pokémon. Yes this means YOU Unnamed Person.

*Hahaha, multiple entendre.

Positive: A WILD MISSINGNO. APPEARED dfgdfjsg;dfksjew4oiru320ru32idfjs;g

Negative: Team Rocket

Jesuszilla

Missingno was Red and Blue only, actually.

Just try to keep things peaceful.