• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 06:56:18 PM

News:

If you have problems logging in, contact an administrator.

Fox's Review: GunZ (PC)

Started by Fusion, May 16, 2008, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fusion

"Sometimes, you've gotta dive into the dirt to find out what it's really like."

Graphics (4/10):

For an extremely long lasting game that's been out for a while, I expected some sort of graphical issue when I was playing the game.  No, I actually get about 200 FPS in-game (looking through Fraps).  Note that that's running at 1280x1024 (game's max resolution) with all details jammed up to maximum.  Kinda disappointing.  No faked HDR, no kind of special lighting, just 2D effects and lighting that's dependant on the map makers.  The kinda drifty physics system for the long coat tails looks nice at first, but they seem to be held on some kind of constraint that prevents them from falling in so far.  It's a shame, the coats could've looked even cooler since this is one of the few games that actually generates physics on the go.  I'm not giving this one much points for graphics, even for their time they probably looked bad.

The characters are as blocky as the weapons are boring, probably the most expensive effect is the flashbang effect where you see a screenshot taken just before the flash appear before your face while you play on with that thing overlapping all of your view.

Sound (6/10):

The soundtrack to GunZ is nothing spectacular, so don't go for the download.  In fact, I usually play with the music off.  The lack of ambiance is better than ambiance that absolutely sucks.  The sound effects are... Basic.  Lightning strikes for explosions, they work good for other things but not for explosions.  Most of the weapon shots are lacking in impact or power or any kind of general realism, the sword sounds are as basic as they come but they do their job.  The english voice acting is both good and bad, bad being that the VA's laugh was just terrible and good being that he actually did pretty good at attacking grunts, taunts, and the like.

Control\Gameplay (.../10):

My.  Freakin'.  God.  If you're not one that fights glitchers who all abuse the same style, rapidly swap weapons to get 20 cheap shots, people uppercutting you just so they can shoot you while you're involuntarily stunned from your fall, and the worst kind of hit detection possible, then this is something you must absolutely avoid.  If you like abusing glitches to hell and back and ensuring that you have no life whatsoever, this is the golden age of gaming for you because not only are there bunny hoppers, there are also swappers, glitchers, wallhackers, and all those who will stop at nothing to just get an extra level.

Now, here's another bullshit part: On some servers, Shotguns are rapid fire.  RAPID FIRE SHOTGUNS?  So there's some level 60 hopping around like a damn terrier spamming shotguns all over the place.  Now, I ask you, how would you win?  You can't be cool and block bullets with your sword, you can't just rush at them because that'll get shotgun all over you, and even then, some other level 60 might just drop by and bring their own rapid-fire shotgun so they can fight each other and double-team you in the process!

As for the actual gameplay physics, take out all the glitches and it's actually a reasonably fun game.  You've got guns, swords, grenades, items, clothing... That's pretty much it.  It's not in what you have, it's how you use it.  But again, there's also the glitching idiots who will spam sword jumping sword slashes while you try to play legitimately.

Overall: Worse than Exteel\10

I even think Exteel, despite it being a ripoff in concept, is better than this game.

EDIT: First Impression!?  Fuck, I don't wanna play this again.

Rednavi

The game itself it's actually good... for the first 2 days, after that you do reallize the game's the same shit over and over again..., all u have to do is abusing of the shift button with the sword to block almost everything and then counter attack with a massive (charged attack). uzis are useless, shotguns are teh shit if you know how to glitch with them for the half step reload shitty thing, double swords are WORST THAN THE SINGLE ONES, WHY?? Giant swords are useless and slow as hell, D style is the best if you know how to use it properly (D style is one of the few things that can beat K style), most of the weapons are shit, you can't even dress you char the way you want because each part of your clothes affect your status, that bull shit!

btw, D style = dagger and K style = sword and maybe shotgun + BUTTERFLY ALL THE DAY FOR EZ WIN...

I played this for 1 month and got bored of it (reached lv 55 without using K-Style, sprayer style FTMFW!)

HOWEVER... the soundtrack is really good in fact, and later versions have even better ones (I think the most updated one is GunZ Wolf nowadays)

Meh, this game could be hella better (beta vids of this shows that)

LMAO I had a CVSW version 2.2 signature? Wow! This account had so much dust on it...